locked
HELP Upgrading to LS 2.0 VS 2012 from LS 1.0 VS 2010 - Errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a VM set up with nothing but VS 2012 and the necessary extensions installed for the project that I am trying to convert to VS 2012 Lightswitch 2.0.

    Visual Studio:  Version 11.0.5116.01 Update 1 Premium.

    I recieve these two errors and don't know where to look:

    ProjectName.lsproj: Project upgrade FAILED. Error

    ProjectName.lsproj: Illegal characters in path.

    I have looked line by line at the lsproj file with no luck.  If anyone could give me some advice I would appreciate it.  Happy Holidays


    Emma

    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:58 PM

Answers

  • Thanks I tried to do this and still got the same errors. 

    The only thing that worked for us is manually going into the lsproj file for the UI project and manually removing XML that references the Extensions.  <ItemGroup> is LightSwitchExtension, we believe the culprit to be the Microsoft.LightSwitch.Extensions reference in the project file. 

    The project converted, doesn't compile but at least it is converted.


    Emma

    • Marked as answer by NendzaE Friday, January 4, 2013 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:00 PM

All replies

  • Hi Emma

    We need more info regarding your error.

    Is your project running perfectly in LightSwitch 2011?

    Have you checked that all third party extension must support Silverlight 5?

    Did you use DevExpress XtraReport for LightSwitch?

    Regards


    Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:52 AM
  • The first error is caused by the second. The second error is obvious from the error message "Illegal characters in path". The project name has a character, or characters, in it that VS 2012 doesn't like, so it's refusing to upgrade the project.

    Does the project's name have any foreign (as in non-English) characters in it?


    Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands
     
    Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.
     
    By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:14 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the response.  Here is some more information.

    Yes the project is running great in LS 2011, no problems at all.

    Extensions .. we have rebuilt all of our home grown, custom extensions following the guidelines provided in the 'Upgrading Extensibility Projects' that was included in the VS11 extensibility toolkit.  We did this using VS 2012.  We are also using the Bing map extenstions that I downloaded from one of Beth Massi articles about upgrading your LS applications, in the article she said ..." ..

    If you are looking for an upgrade of the Bing Map Control that was included in the original Training Kit, an update is included in this sample: Contoso Construction - LightSwitch Advanced Sample (Visual Studio 11 Beta)” .."  So, I am thinking that everything is ready for SL 5.  ??(fingers crossed)

    DevExpress XtraReport .. No we are not using this.

    To respond to Yann question, the Name of the project file is the CompanyName.Xpress.UI and it doesn't contain any foreign characters in it.


    Emma

    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi Emma,

    You have periods (".") in the name? That *might* be the problem.


    Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands
     
    Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.
     
    By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:55 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks I tried to do this and still got the same errors. 

    The only thing that worked for us is manually going into the lsproj file for the UI project and manually removing XML that references the Extensions.  <ItemGroup> is LightSwitchExtension, we believe the culprit to be the Microsoft.LightSwitch.Extensions reference in the project file. 

    The project converted, doesn't compile but at least it is converted.


    Emma

    • Marked as answer by NendzaE Friday, January 4, 2013 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:00 PM
  • I'm glad you found a partial answer at least.

    That's very odd though, it shouldn't be Microsoft.LightSwitch.Extensions that causes an upgrade problem, as that's the extension that provides all the business types that LightSwitch offers out-of-the-box. It'll be present in most, if not all, of the projects being upgraded. The upgrade wizard should definitely take care of changing to the appropriate version during the upgrade.

    But the wrong version number is about the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem, but I still don't understand why it wouldn't upgrade for you.


    Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands
     
    Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.
     
    By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

    • Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 4, 2013 5:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:17 PM
    Moderator