none
Track Changes RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to implement Revisions as part of a web application that I'm working on.

We have a webform to capture data. These data need to be available in MS Word doc created. However, the added text should be in revision mode so that the admin can accept or reject based on some criteria.

We are able to put the text but some it is not being captured as part of rivision. The track changes is already turned on. Please help me.

Regards,

Matri.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Matri

Are you planning to do this using the Word "interop" (object model APIs)? Or are you working directly with the Open XML file (which would be the topic of this forum)? It's important that we understand which technology is involved and that your question is directed to the correct forum...

If you are working with the Open XML file format (which would be the recommended approach for a server environment) then it doesn't matter whether Tracked Changes is turned on in the document. This functionality only participates actively when the document is open in the Word Application.

This means that you need to generate the Word Open XML that designates your additions as "revisions".

In order to see how this is done, start a new document in Word, type in some text, turn on Track Changes, then add some new text. Save and close the document, then look at it using the Open XML SDK Productivity Tool. That will show you the code required to generate the document, including how to generate "revisions".

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Matri

Are you planning to do this using the Word "interop" (object model APIs)? Or are you working directly with the Open XML file (which would be the topic of this forum)? It's important that we understand which technology is involved and that your question is directed to the correct forum...

If you are working with the Open XML file format (which would be the recommended approach for a server environment) then it doesn't matter whether Tracked Changes is turned on in the document. This functionality only participates actively when the document is open in the Word Application.

This means that you need to generate the Word Open XML that designates your additions as "revisions".

In order to see how this is done, start a new document in Word, type in some text, turn on Track Changes, then add some new text. Save and close the document, then look at it using the Open XML SDK Productivity Tool. That will show you the code required to generate the document, including how to generate "revisions".

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi Matri,

The Open XML is recommend to manipulate the Office document on the server side environment.

And the Office automation is not recommend, since all current versions of Microsoft Office were designed, tested, and configured to run as end-user products on a client workstation. They assume an interactive desktop and user profile. They do not provide the level of reentrancy or security that is necessary to meet the needs of server-side components that are designed to run unattended.

You can get more detail about this topic from link below:
    Considerations for server-side Automation of Office

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 3:20 AM