none
Compilation error with Windows SDK Version 10.0.15063.0

Question

• After installing updates on Windows 10, Visual Studio 2017, started using "Windows SDK Version" 10.0.15063.0 by default for any new project. These projects throw compilation error saying "cannot open file kernel32.lib". Workaround to overcome this compilation error, which I tired are:

1- Adding path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Lib" to VC++ Directories -> Library Directories for any new project via Project properties settings.

2- Changing the "Windows SDK Version" to 10.0.14393.0 or 8.1.

With either of these changes, compilation issue is resolved.

Is this issue because of some missing updates/fixes ? I don't want to make these changes manually for any new projects, so how can I get these things resolved ?

Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please have a look at this: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/41913/link-fatal-error-lnk1104-in-empty-c-project.html

The Windows 10 Creators Update SDK made some significant changes to what is installed as part of the installation to minimize on-disk footprint. This is a Known Issue that results from that refactoring work where the "desktop" components of the Creators Update SDK do not get installed by default. The previous new project logic always selected the latest Windows 10 SDK, assuming the desktop portions were installed as part of that installation scenario. We are working on a fix for a future update.

The workarounds available are as follows:

1. Select a version of the Windows 10 SDK that's fully installed on the system (i.e. 10.0.14393.0 or earlier) in the Project Properties

2. Install the 'Windows 10 SDK (10.0.15063.0) for Desktop' component via the Visual Studio Installer. win10sdk-15063desktop.png

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:05 AM