Unable to use MediaCapture with uncompressed video profile on Surface Pro 3

Question

• I am using the MediaCapture API to capture uncompressed video to a custom MediaSink. All of this has been working great on a number of different machines and webcam combinations including Surface Pro 2 and Surface RT.

However, I just tried this out on a Surface Pro 3 and am getting the error "The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by the object" when calling MediaCapture.StartRecordToCustomSinkAsync.

After some digging I suspect that this may be because the Surface Pro 3's webcam/driver does not support generating uncompressed video samples although I am not 100% sure yet.

My question is: are there some video recording devices (e.g. the Surface Pro 3's built in webcams) that would only support compressed video? My assumption was that everything would support uncompressed.

Thanks, Tim

Friday, August 08, 2014 5:31 PM

Answers

• Solved it!

This problem only occurs if I initialize the MediaCapture API with:

MediaCaptureInitializationSettings.MediaCategory = MediaCategory.Communications;

Setting it to “other” (the only alternative) fixes it:

MediaCaptureInitializationSettings.MediaCategory = MediaCategory.Other;

This issue is still alarming however since I still don't know why this property would affect whether the camera can generate un-encoded video or not and only on Surface Pro 3. An explanation on this would still be very much appreciated.

Friday, August 08, 2014 11:00 PM

All replies

• Solved it!

This problem only occurs if I initialize the MediaCapture API with:

MediaCaptureInitializationSettings.MediaCategory = MediaCategory.Communications;

Setting it to “other” (the only alternative) fixes it:

MediaCaptureInitializationSettings.MediaCategory = MediaCategory.Other;

This issue is still alarming however since I still don't know why this property would affect whether the camera can generate un-encoded video or not and only on Surface Pro 3. An explanation on this would still be very much appreciated.

Friday, August 08, 2014 11:00 PM
  • Nice to see the solution! Congratulations.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 11, 2014 7:31 AM