Can't query CPU temperature (MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature) on WES7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

We have an Intel DH57jg motherboard running Windows Embedded Standard 7.  We're trying to make some WMI queries.  Disk usage (Win32_LogicalDisk) and system info (Win32_ComputerSystem) work fine.  But CPU Temperature (MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature) gives a WMI "not supported" error.

The same program works OK, on other PCs with different hardware, and different versions of Windows.

Q: Does anybody know how to enable CPU temperature monitoring on this board?

Q: Is it a motherboard issue, or a Windows Embedded issue?

Thank you in advance!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:00 AM

All replies

• If you check device manager, do you see any missing drivers or drivers not working?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Hi, Sean -

Thank you *very* much for your response: deeply appreciated!

No, I don't see any drivers missing.  Specifically:

* My Computer, Manage, Device Mgr,

1) Computer, ACPI x86-basec PC: Driver 6.1.7600.16385

This device is working properly

2) Processors, 4xIntel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @3.07GHz

intelppm.sys: 6.1.7600.16385

This device is working properly

All the Intel DH57JG motherboard drivers are installed.

Q: Is there any other package or driver in WES7 I should be looking at?

Thank you again .. PSM

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:40 PM
  • The same program works OK, on other PCs with different hardware, and different versions of Windows.

Does this mean you also tested with Windows 7?
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi, Knarz - Nope, I only tested Windows Embedded Standard 7. 

ALSO: It would be nice if I could install XP on the Intel DH57JG (that fails), or WES7 on one of the other PCs (that work) ... but, unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.  So I still don't know if this is a hardware (dh57jg m/b) or OS (WES7) problem.

Sigh ...

Thank you again for your input!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I recommend to test Windows 7 once on the board. XP install may fail because of ahci setting enabled?! (it's possible to run ahci, but it's much easier to set the setting in bios to "ide compatible" or something like this.)
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Knarz -

1. The entire problem is trying to programmatically get CPU temperature from the target platform, running Windows Embedded 7.

Q: Can you think of any way to do this - with or without using WMI?

2.  I don't understand what AHCI or "IDE Compatible" has to do with CPU temperature.  I thought they were both drive-related.

Q: Could you explain how I can use these to get CPU temperature?

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Based on the fact to get it run with WMI

1. Try Win7 instead of WES7 to confirm that "normal" OS runs fine.

if yes - This implicated that some FeaturePack or Driver is missing. But the generell Support for WES7 is given.

2. You said installation of Windows XP fails. common failure on machines nowadays with xp is the sata - ahci support. to avoid this failure and to be able to install xp without any customization. you can (in most cases) set a value for ahci support in bios. And if, you can set this value to "ide compatible" or something like this, to get XP installed.

Some other threads said somethin similar with power managment with WES7. So it might me possible that XP can read the Value but Win7 can't.

If you have the support, than you can get the value.

Note: I'm no expert in WMI (so may this call has changed?!)

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Knarz -

I definitely appreciate your help - thank you.  But I think we're getting a bit off-track here:

1. I don't have the luxury of trying Windows 7.  But it shouldn't matter: my goal is to get CPU temperature with Windows Embedded 7.

2. I am not having any trouble with Windows XP: apologies if I gave a different impression.  The ONLY reason I brought up XP in the first place is because it WORKS - I *am* able to query CPU temperature on a PC running XP.  I'm also able to query CPU temperature on a PC running Vista.  I'm using the SAME .EXE on all three systems.

3. *Some* parts of the .exe work OK on *all three* systems.  But the CPU temperature query fails, and only fails on the Intel dh57jg m/b running WES7.

4. I am *not* sure whether the problem is Windows-related or Intel-related.

5. I *am* pretty sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with ahci.  "ACPI", yes.  "AHCI", no.  They're different ;-)

Any advice would be welcome.  And thank you again for your help so far.

Sincerely .. PSM

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:41 PM
  • 1. I only wan't to confirm that the dh57jg board is running fine with win7, that you're confirmed in investigating to reach the goal with wes7. (i would get a copy from anyone and install 30days trial to confirm any futrue approches with wes7)

As is said, here i already read something about some issues with power managment, so it's not that far away that there might be an issue with CPU support. (but i don't think so)

2/3. As i understand now, you can run your exe / script on XP and Vista machines Fine. And also on Win7 expect the Intel Board.

4. I'm also not sure, therefore i want to test normal installed win7 on this board. If win7 still don't give support to get temperature, than it's an board issues or in configuration of the board. - Maybe you can receive some information about the bios / changelogs from this board. I remember some issues with new boards (Asus) and vista some years ago. Bios update was inescapable to run vista fine. - So maybe a biosupdate will help.

5. This was only about installing XP. So let's strike this issues.

Friday, September 3, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Knarz - I can't install Windows 7.

Sean - help?????

Friday, September 3, 2010 2:35 PM