Team Foundation CAL Requirements RRS feed

• Question

•  

We're about to go live on Team Foundation Server 2008 Trial Edition, and I have a question regarding CALs. 

1.  For the TFS2008 Trial Edition, do I need CALs during the 90-day period to try out TFS?  For users to use the full functionality of the product?

2.  We are currently a Microsoft Gold Partner and MSDN subscriber.  Are there any products on the MSDN downloads that would satisfy the CAL requirements, such as VS Team System, etc?  I haven't found any, but wanted to check here first.  Or do I need to purchase CALs for my entire team? 

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:17 PM

Answers

•  

Hi

1. I am not sure but I hope you dont need to , the reason is if you pay for trial period even for clients then this means you should get support for that clients which I think you dont get when you run the Trial Edition.

2. As a Gold Partner you will recieve licenses for TFS and VSTS , you need to check your partner kit for that. Infact there is a pdf document I saw at Gold Partner Firm that have whole list of softwares and number of license granted to them , you should check out with your local Microsoft Support for that.Most of the times VSTS client licences are not enough (depends upon your need) in that case you have to buy extra licenses. More details can be found here about licensing

Best Regards

Razi

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:06 AM

All replies

•  

Hi

1. I am not sure but I hope you dont need to , the reason is if you pay for trial period even for clients then this means you should get support for that clients which I think you dont get when you run the Trial Edition.

2. As a Gold Partner you will recieve licenses for TFS and VSTS , you need to check your partner kit for that. Infact there is a pdf document I saw at Gold Partner Firm that have whole list of softwares and number of license granted to them , you should check out with your local Microsoft Support for that.Most of the times VSTS client licences are not enough (depends upon your need) in that case you have to buy extra licenses. More details can be found here about licensing

Best Regards

Razi

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Razi.

This is why I posted the question.  I initially read that document and thought that the VS Team Suite does satisfy the Team Foundation CAL requirement (I could be incorrect here, which is why I am asking).  If I am entitled to the VS Team Suite, do I have to purchase a CAL for each of my users? 

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Hello Chris,

In addition to Razi,

as I know you don't need any license for trial editon VS production.

But you need to take care the expire day if you have valuable work on it.

If I am entitled to the VS Team Suite, do I have to purchase a CAL for each of my users? 

Each of the Team System client products integrates seamlessly with Team Foundation Server. You can access Team Foundation Server using Team Explorer, which integrates into the Team System client products, or runs separately as a standalone client in their absence. When you purchase a Team System client product, you also receive a CAL (Client Access License) for Team Foundation Server.

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:00 AM
  •  

My group is in a similar position with a slightly different twist.

We have been using TFS 2005 Workgroup Edition for years.  Our group has just grown substantially and the 5-user limitation requires us to upgrade to standard edition.  We didn't realize this until the last minute.  It doesn't make sense to upgrade to TFS 2005 SE so we are going the 2008 route. 

The problem is the lead time for ordering the software and the clients does not support my project timelines.  I need people in different geographies coding against the same code-base starting tomorrow.

Here is what I think that I can do based on all of my research.

1. Order TFS 2008 Standard Edition and 12 CALs today - and then wait for them to arrive.
    2. Deploy TFS 2008 SE 90-day Trial today.
    3. Have my entire team working against the 90-day trial starting today until my paid licenses arrive.
    4. Upgrade the trail edition to the full-blown standard edition in about a week when all my licenses arrive.

Will this scenario work?  If it doesn't, does anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve my objective?

Thanks,

-wp

Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Hello Wp,

The scenario should work.

Please backup the TFS Server before upgrading for safe.

Good luck

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:54 AM