Does SSMA for Oracle support TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2? RRS feed

• Question

• Xp_ora2ms_exec2 fails with the following error when only TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 is enabled:
    SSL Security error
    ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).

I disabled TLS 1.0 and other weak ciphers through the registry.  My SQL Server version is 2016.  My OS is Windows Server 2016.  My SSMA for Oracle Extension Pack version is 7.6.0.  The only solution I have tried is to set the .NET framework to use strong cryptography (also through the registry).  It did not work.

Friday, April 20, 2018 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Chry,

You are right, that extended stored procedure is hard-coded to use ODBC driver named "SQL Server". We will update this in the next version of SSMA.

In the interim you can reroute "SQL Server" to SQL Server Native Client ODBC driver. To do so, you will need to set below registry keys as following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\SQL Server]

Driver = "%WINDIR%\system32\sqlncli11.dll"
    Setup = "%WINDIR%\system32\sqlncli11.dll"

Reboot the machine for the changes to take effect.

Please keep in mind that this will affect all applications using "SQL Server" ODBC driver. It is also worth saving original values somewhere to rollback the change when new version of SSMA is available.

Regards,
    Alex.

• Marked as answer by ChryCheng Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:32 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi ChryCheng,

Which driver did you use? Please try to use the latest version of SQL Server Native Client or ODBC driver instead of OLEDB driver.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:55 AM
  • Hi Teige,

How can I change the driver used by xp_ora2ms_exec2?  As far as I can tell, the connection string it is using is hard-coded.  I don't have access to the code.  The extended procedure came with the SSMA for Oracle extension pack.

Thanks,

Chry

Monday, April 23, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Hi Chry,

You are right, that extended stored procedure is hard-coded to use ODBC driver named "SQL Server". We will update this in the next version of SSMA.

In the interim you can reroute "SQL Server" to SQL Server Native Client ODBC driver. To do so, you will need to set below registry keys as following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\SQL Server]

Driver = "%WINDIR%\system32\sqlncli11.dll"
    Setup = "%WINDIR%\system32\sqlncli11.dll"

Reboot the machine for the changes to take effect.

Please keep in mind that this will affect all applications using "SQL Server" ODBC driver. It is also worth saving original values somewhere to rollback the change when new version of SSMA is available.

Regards,
    Alex.

• Marked as answer by ChryCheng Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:32 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 4:14 PM
  • To close the thread - SSMA v7.9 has an updated extended stored procedure that picks newer ODBC driver, if available.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:02 PM