Cooperating with earlier versions of VS and Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am a new developer for my company who have until now hired developers from China to work on the system my company uses today. I am trying to "jump in" on the development, and I figured - whats a better place to start than to download some softwares? To jump to my issue: My Chinese friends are using VS Enterprise 2013 with .NET 4.5 and Azure tools 2.1. During my learning process, I was told to just start with the free version of VS, so I downloaded VS Community 2015. I actually looked a long time for the 2013 one, but were not able to find any - only the Express version, which I have had trouble with before because it was lacking stuff. I also downloaded the newest Azure tools (2.7). However, when I try to open one of our projects, I get an error message saying that the solution uses Azure 2.1, which is not compatible with VS 2015, and that I must "upgrade" the solution. I am assuming that if I do this, the project will no longer be usable for my coworkers. 

I must admit its a little strange that its so hard to find the 2013 version of the Community (or Enterprise for that matters, I looked up both) unless Microsoft really, really, *REALLY* wants everyone to upgrade. What would be the best approach in this situation? Maybe I have overlooked a place to get the versions I need?? Or any other clever tips? Overall, I am very new in working in teams. Until now, I have just worked with what software I have, and whatever the IDE allows me to write :p

Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi supermarius,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I really understand the inconvenience it brings to you. I will try to help you solve this problem.

At your side, since you and your Chinese workmates are in a team , I think it’s better to keep the same development with them, because you need to share the project solution and work for it.

>> I get an error message saying that the solution uses Azure 2.1, which is not compatible with VS 2015, and that I must "upgrade" the solution. I am assuming that if I do this, the project will no longer be usable for my coworkers. 

For this situation,  if you do the ”upgrade”, there must be some incompatibility with VS 2013 and VS 2015 edition, I think it may bring some inconvenience for you and your work partner.

Here are VS 2013 download link below, you may download the Community 2013 edition

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx  

PS: To make sure whether your package is corrupted or not,

please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290  to verify hash of the ISO.

Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted. Here is a blog for how to use it, you can refer to it.

Besides, in order to narrow down the problems of VS setup, there are some tips about installing VS:

1. Disable anti-virus or anti-spyware software.
    2. Check windows update.
    3. Clear %TEMP% folder.
    4. Run the installer as administrator.

you should make sure you’ve followed these tips:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vssetup/thread/60f71a54-506e-4c70-be98-e993ce6d1ddf

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by 宝宝徐 Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:27 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 8:09 AM