Backup plan wizard generates an error

Question

• The TFS Power Tool named Backup Plan Wizard fails at the "Backup Plan Verifications" and "Grant Backup Plan Permissions" readiness checks. The errors that are displayed are:

Error    [ Backup Plan Verifications ] The current username failed to retrieve MSSQL Server service account. Please make sure you have permissions to retrieve this information.
    Error    [ Grant Backup Plan Permissions ] Grant failed for Server 'mis-ametfs-01'.
    Error    [ Grant Backup Plan Permissions ] An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
    Error    [ Grant Backup Plan Permissions ] An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.

The first error from the log file is:

Verify Sql Service Account Can be Granted Permission

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: xp_regread() returned error 5, 'Access is denied.'
    xp_regread() returned error 5, 'Access is denied.'

I am a developer and have "very little" sys admin knowledge! Can anybody provide a simple solution? or suggestions on what to look at? I did a google search and was overwhelmed with "sys admin speak".

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply.

For this scenario, please try to perform the Backup Plan using a TFS Admin user, then select the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE user on Account tab.

You should ensure that the user who perform this Backup Plan have required permission in SQL Server, and another user which you provide in the Account tab can be grant permission in SQL Server. To verify that, you can try to log in SQL Server using the perform Backup Plan user, and grant the permission to the Account tab user manually in SQL Server. You should note that Database Security issue.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:25 AM

All replies

• Hi turczytj,

Thanks for your post.

In order to resolve this issue, I want to confirm some information with you:

1        To ensure your current user(Log on machine/open TFS Administration Console) have required permission in SQL server.

2        Which account did you provide in Backup Plan Wizard Account tab? system account or user account?

3        Does this account can be granted permission in SQL Database?

4        Try to provide your TFS server account in Account tab to perform the Backup Plan Wizard.

For how to perform backup step by step, please refer to this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2010/08/18/backing-up-and-restoring-your-tfs-server.aspx.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:44 AM
  • Hey John,

Thanks for helping me out. The answers to your quesitons are:

1. I don't understand what you are asking.

2. NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. I don't have a user account that i can use because of corporate restrictions...

3. How can I verify this?

4. The TFS Service Account, as listed on the TFS Applicaiton Tier page, is NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.

todd

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:49 PM
  • For question 1, if you asking if I can start the TFS Admin console then the answer is 'yes". I start it by right-clicking and selecting "run as administrator". I also switched the TFS Service account and the backup/restores account in the wizard to my own domain account (not an admin account) and received the same error.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply.

For this scenario, please try to perform the Backup Plan using a TFS Admin user, then select the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE user on Account tab.

You should ensure that the user who perform this Backup Plan have required permission in SQL Server, and another user which you provide in the Account tab can be grant permission in SQL Server. To verify that, you can try to log in SQL Server using the perform Backup Plan user, and grant the permission to the Account tab user manually in SQL Server. You should note that Database Security issue.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Hi Todd,

I marked the reply as answer, if you have any concern with it, please feel free to unmark it. 

John Qiao [MSFT]

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:08 AM