none
installUtil not copying content files

Question

• Hi all,

First, I apologize if I am posting it on the wrong forum (I didn't know where else to ask about it).

I have a windows service project. In that project I have a powershell file with "build action" set to "content". The file is copied beautifully to the bin folder after building but InstallUtil.exe completely ignores it no matter what I do.

What can I do to force InstalUtil.exe to copy it to installation folder?

Best,

Rafal

Rafal

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Rafcio666,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, you could get the installation folder first, you would like to check the following link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/491735/how-do-i-find-the-install-directory-of-a-windows-service-using-c

And then copy the file to installation folder.

If I misunderstand what you want, please feel free to let me know. And provide more details about your question. Code sample or error message would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rafcio666 Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hello,

This installer may be what will assist with this

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2015InstallerProjects

Here is how I see it, IntallUtil does a decent job but not complete so the above which I use is more flexible.

In my current solution there is a Windows service, a windows forms project for install/uninstall, start stop which calls InstallUtil for development only while the last project was created by the setup from the link above as the production server does not have InstallUtil.

Any ways the link above has the capability to copy whatever items are needed during an install of the windows service.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Rafal,

This forum is for Visual Studio IDE, to help you get a professional and quick answer I'll move it to C# forum.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Fletch  

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Hi Rafcio666,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, you could get the installation folder first, you would like to check the following link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/491735/how-do-i-find-the-install-directory-of-a-windows-service-using-c

And then copy the file to installation folder.

If I misunderstand what you want, please feel free to let me know. And provide more details about your question. Code sample or error message would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Rafcio666 Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hello,

This installer may be what will assist with this

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2015InstallerProjects

Here is how I see it, IntallUtil does a decent job but not complete so the above which I use is more flexible.

In my current solution there is a Windows service, a windows forms project for install/uninstall, start stop which calls InstallUtil for development only while the last project was created by the setup from the link above as the production server does not have InstallUtil.

Any ways the link above has the capability to copy whatever items are needed during an install of the windows service.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:56 PM