Device Services Extension API's - Where to find more info?

Question

• I've been reading through the set of latest documentation (Feb 28, 2012) on Mobile Broadband Metro app development, and there are a few high-level sections on Device Services Extention API's to access custom device-specific functionality.   Where can I find more detailed information on these API's?

thanks!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:53 AM

Answers

• Ok, so after doing some more digging, I've found the API's in MSDN here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh780509(v=vs.85).aspx.

Now, quoting the mobile-operator-hardware-guidelines specs (feb 28, 2012), it states (middle of page 6):

" It is important to note that the Device Services API is accessible to any application. Developers should carefully consider privacy and security when communicating information through this pipe. "

However from my test app and from the MB COM sample app I find that IMbnDeviceServicesContext::EnumerateDeviceServices and IMbnDeviceServicesContext::GetDeviceService both return E_ACCESSDENIED if the app is not "privileged".  This contradicts the guideline specs indicating that this API is accessible by any application.  Can someone from microsoft please confirm if this is a bug or is it by design?

If it is by design, this creates a huge problem -- For any given network carrier whom can only authorize a maximum of 2 privileged metro apps, how can they possibly support a varying number of MB vendors, if for each vendor has their own custom device services definitions.. and have no abiility to write their own metro app to access these services??

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:27 PM