none
Visual Studio, Deleted .suo file not fixed “The project file has been moved”

Question

• I have an issue where i needed to move a project file as it was in a different location to the rest of my solution. I removed the project from my solution in visual studio, moved my project with the rest of my solution. Then when i would try to add the project back the error "The project file, original location , has been moved, renamed or is not on your computer"

So i did some research and found that i should delete the .suo file from the solution and that should do the trick. However once i did there was no difference, i then tried cleaning the solution still no difference, and i haven't been able to find any information for when deleting the .suo file doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

can you give more details please? Which version of Visual Studio do you use? Are your projects inside a subfolder of your solution or are they outside?

I never had such problems in the past. The paths inside the solution and inside the project files are relative paths only. So I would open the solution and project files to check the content which is text based. Check if there are any paths in it, that are not relative. 

In case these paths are inside the user vonfiguration - the user options in newer Visual Studio versions are no longer saved inside a .suo file. Instead it is saved inside a .vs folder which is hidden by default.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:55 AM
  • I am using Visual Studio 2012, they are all in a sub folder except for the one i was trying to move, that originally was somewhere else and i am trying to move into the sub folder.

The strange thing is when i open the project on its own, its file path within the properties tab shows its new location however when i try to add it to the existing project it still thinks its in the original location. 

Is there a way to view the .vs folder?

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Hi  W.Stephenson,

>>The strange thing is when i open the project on its own

For the step, do you mean that just open this project separately?

>>when i try to add it to the existing project it still thinks its in the original location. 

You could go to the File Explorer to check the detailed URL of the file you tried to move, to check indeed where is the file location.

Currently, we couldn't reproduce this issue on our side, how about giving us some screenshot about the detailed steps, so that we could figure out the root reason.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:56 AM