API App project as a Cloud Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can create a Web API project or an API App project in VS2015 when I create an Azure Cloud Service. What's the point of creating an API App project and publishing it as a cloud service? Wasn't it part of App Service?

Sunday, October 4, 2015 9:50 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to figure all this out as well.

There are 3 different way to put a C# Web API onto azure.

On VS if you select Add new project-> visual C#->Web->ASP.NET Web Application
    Gives you options: Web API, Azure API App, Azure Mobile Service

Then all can be managed by the Azure API Manager.  Web API only if it has swagger or XML docs.  Normally only Azure API, and Mobile Services are connected to the Manager.  Another thing is you can post those 2 types of API in the store.  

Use mobile services if you plan on doing push notification or using the notification hub.  Otherwise the Azure API app is ok.  Azure API and mobile Services are more strict than regular web api and I think you have to use swagger.

I'm trying to find out more about the API Manager, might want to see if someone answers this:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/dfd00669-13d5-419d-8028-3c2c3a3560fc/have-a-few-getting-started-questions?forum=azureapimgmt

dan

Monday, October 5, 2015 1:17 AM