Why doesn't my Sharepoint 2010 Calendar Workflow stop after an event is approved? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I'm a Sharepoint newbie so please excuse this question if the answer is obvious!

I'm trying to setup a Sharepoint 2010 Calendar with a OOTB Workflow which does the following:

1. Sends the approver an email when a new event is created

2. Allows the approver to approve or reject the event

( The event should be visible to initiator and approver while pending approval, but generally visible once approved )

3. Sends the initiator an email containing the outcome of the approval decision

4. Stops

Steps 1 and 2 are fine, but the email in step 3 isn't sent.  Also, the Workflow remains with a status of "In Progress", and the Task is "Not Started".

Currently I have Content Approval ON for the calendar because I'm using the Approval Status to colour code my calendar on the basis of status using overlaid calendar views.  However, because I now have approval on the event creation and on the workflow I think I may have over-complicated things!

Can anyone suggest a good way to do this (BTW I am not able to use Sharepoint Developer or Visusal Studio on this Sharepoint site)

Thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:42 AM

Answers

• Steve, thanks for prompting my thoughts on this - I think I've got it sorted.

After thinking about your questions I realised that the question I should be asking Why doesn't the "Enable Content Approval" checkbox in my Approval - Sharepoint 2010 workflow update the Approval Status of my calendar item?

Having searched the forum, I found a helpful post with the title Approval - Sharepoint 2010 and document approval

.It appears that the "Enable Content Approval" only works if the option to "Start this workflow when an item is changed" is NOT ticked.

Having unticked the workflow will now approve the calendar event when I approve the workflow task.  :-)

Thanks again,

Julian

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44 PM

All replies

• 1. Verify that the Initiator is receiving emails. Test this by having them create a manual alert on a list.  (Must rule out the obvious.)

2. Does the OOTB workflow really do #3? (I've never used it, nor studied it, so is this what you WANT it to do, or is this what it DOES?)

Let's just start with these two.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Easy Bins Roll-off Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters in Alexandria, Annandale, Arlington, Fairfax, and Springfield.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Steve, thanks for your suggestions. In answer to your points:

1. I have been acting as Initiator and Approver (which may muddy the waters a little), but I am definitely receiving emails from Sharepoint.  When I create a calendar event I get 2 emails:

1. Approval started on <Title of calendar entry>
    2. Tasks - Please approve <Title of calendar entry>

The first email has 2 links: one to the calendar item, from which I can Approve/Reject publication via the ribbon menu, and one to the workflow status, from which I can Approve/Reject the workflow task.

(I also set a manual alert on the calendar as suggested and confirmed this DOES send me emails)

If I approve the TASK, the email is sent to the initiator to confirm it has been approved, but the Approval Status is not updated from Pending to Approved so the event is not visible to all in the calendar.  ( I had assumed that ticking the "Enable Content Approval" checkbox in my workflow would automatically update the Approval Status column ).

If I approve the ITEM, then the Approval Status changes to Approved, and the event becomes visible on the calendar, but I get no email and the workflow task remains Not Started.

I seem to have to approve both the task and the item, which doesn't make for a smooth operation!

2. As noted above, the OOTB workflow will send email to the initiator if the approver approves the task and not just the content.

Thanks again,

Julian

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Steve, thanks for prompting my thoughts on this - I think I've got it sorted.

After thinking about your questions I realised that the question I should be asking Why doesn't the "Enable Content Approval" checkbox in my Approval - Sharepoint 2010 workflow update the Approval Status of my calendar item?

Having searched the forum, I found a helpful post with the title Approval - Sharepoint 2010 and document approval

.It appears that the "Enable Content Approval" only works if the option to "Start this workflow when an item is changed" is NOT ticked.

Having unticked the workflow will now approve the calendar event when I approve the workflow task.  :-)

Thanks again,

Julian

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44 PM