Unknown Member RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a Reporting Services question but I thought I would ask here first.  By design I have a sizable chunk of data falling to the Unknow member of my Groups dimension.  When I query the cube I can see the Unknown member, however, if I create a report in Reporting Services and if I show Groups on the rows axis the Unknown member does not display.  The Groups dimension is also sometimes used as a parameter and Unknown does not show up as a selection in the dropdown.  

Any help is appreciated
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:28 AM

Answers

• have a look at Chris Wade's blog
    http://blogs.conchango.com/christianwade/archive/2005/04/01/1228.aspx

In summary :-

Create a Dimension Member UNKNOWN with a Id = -1 (something this is not already a surrogate Key)
    Stamp all the facts with this Key
    make Unknown member = Visible = true as shown in the blog entry

Let me know if it Helps

Ashwani Roy

My Blog

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Proposed as answer by Ashwani RoyEditor Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by sasman Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:04 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:12 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Not sure about your statement "By design I have a sizable chunk of data falling to the Unknow member of my Groups dimension". What do you mean by unknown member in your dimension. Can you elobarate more about your cube structure? Does your cube contain multiple Fact tables?

Monday, August 24, 2009 5:18 AM
  • I know that I have many keys on my fact table that do not match to a key on my dimension table, and this is OK.  That is what I mean when I say it is that way by design.  I want the keys that do not match to fall into the Unknown bucket
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hi ,
    Please check that Group dimesnion Properties has been set as shown below
    set the UnknowMember = Visible

To do this Folow below steps.
    1. select GROUP dimension
    2.Press F4 and change UnknownMember = Visible

Thanks and Regards
    Praxy

Praxy
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:48 AM
  • have a look at Chris Wade's blog
    http://blogs.conchango.com/christianwade/archive/2005/04/01/1228.aspx

In summary :-

Create a Dimension Member UNKNOWN with a Id = -1 (something this is not already a surrogate Key)
    Stamp all the facts with this Key
    make Unknown member = Visible = true as shown in the blog entry

Let me know if it Helps

Ashwani Roy

My Blog

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Proposed as answer by Ashwani RoyEditor Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by sasman Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:04 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Reporting Services support the unknown member indeed. You can open query designer to test it. In filter area, select the dimension which includes the unknown member and you will find the unknown member is there.

I guess in your query, the unknown member didn’t have any value returned, so by default, query designer will hide these cells. But you can right click the results area in query designer, click ‘include empty cells’.

Hope this helps,

Raymond

Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:39 AM