Sharepoint 2010 Migration (from Non SP site) RRS feed

• Question

• My company is looking at migrating to a new sharepoint 2010 site from a non sharepoint site.

I have been tasked with making sure that we manage URL's in the migration to keep SEO and stop dead pages. Our current site has over 15,000 pages to which not all are being migrated. secondly we are not migrating look and feel that will be a whole new site with a ifferent structure.

To make this work i need some way of getting sharepoint to recognise URL's being accessed by the old site and redirect to best suited page. Now i had thought about doing a complete migration into sharepoint of our existing site but then realised this probably wont work as sharepoints /pages/ would break the old sites URL???

This what im looking for...

A method of importing URL structure from old site

Importing this structure into Sharepoint
    or
    making this structure aware of the new site and then knowing where to redirect it in the new site

Hoping i have made this clear... oh and btw im Sharepoint Noooob... So would be greatful if you bear that in mind in your replies?!?!

Thanks

Kev

Kevin
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think there is no good idea.

The common way to this need is that, setting http redirects in IIS and sometime give the site address change notice meanwhile.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:05 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you have a few interesting challenges.  I would suggest that you try to create a custom error page that has extra functionality built in to handle the page not found instances and has the ability to determine which page was requested, and perhaps either redirect the user or at least point them to the top level for that site.

With regards to the "Pages" or "SitePages" library name, those can always be changed.

How are you proposing to transfer the pages from the old system?

SharePoint Server MVP | Architect | Developer | Administrator | Speaker-- Twitter -- Blog - http://nextconnect.blogspot.com
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

One thing to consider is issue a 301 redirect which will tell search engines that a request page has permenatly moved. http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=93633  So for example you may look to implement a URL Rewriter on your old site that redirects a request to the new SharePoint site if it matches a certain pattern.  You would issue a 301 redirect tells seach engines that the site has moved.

Dennis Bottjer | Follow Me: @dbottjer | Blog: Dennis Bottjer.com
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Mike Oryszak

Hi Mike, only some of the site content is being moved over, most of it is being re written or is dynamically generated.

currrently we have www.mydomain.com/nearest/shop/location.asp

as i understand it under sharepoint we we would have www.mydomain.com/findyournearest/stationshops/pages /location.asp

Is there a way of making sharepoint aware using (dbottjer) a 301 redirect if some access the old address to the new sharepoint address?

some sort of matching process that would allow sharepoint to know that if someone entered the first domain that "nearest" = "findyournearest" and "shop" = "staionshops" and that location is matched.

I have been dipping around on the net and found migration tools that scan site content and dump that into sharepoint but it looses its original site mappings.

A thought might be that all the urls are added into the search so if a old URL is entered a custom 401 with built in search might bring up recommended pages based upon the url entered?

Still not sure!

Kev

Kevin
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

I think there is no good idea.

The common way to this need is that, setting http redirects in IIS and sometime give the site address change notice meanwhile.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:05 AM