Change .asp pages to .htm pages in a folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Is there a simple way to do a batch change and change all the pages in a folder.   I want to change pages from .asp to .htm.

Thanks,

Peter

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:15 AM

Answers

• No.  Classic ASP has code interspersed with HTML, and many times the code generates some of the HTML conditionally, based on other factors.  ASP has server-side code which would not run in an HTML page.

Only if you have .asp pages that really only have HTML in them can you simply rename them to an .html page.

If that's what you are actually talking about, no, there is no bulk page renaming in EW.  There are tools outside of EW that can do this, but that would break any links you have among the pages, unlike renaming the file inside of EW.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Petersocal Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:29 AM

All replies

• No.  Classic ASP has code interspersed with HTML, and many times the code generates some of the HTML conditionally, based on other factors.  ASP has server-side code which would not run in an HTML page.

Only if you have .asp pages that really only have HTML in them can you simply rename them to an .html page.

If that's what you are actually talking about, no, there is no bulk page renaming in EW.  There are tools outside of EW that can do this, but that would break any links you have among the pages, unlike renaming the file inside of EW.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Petersocal Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:29 AM
  • Hi Kathy,

Yes, I was just looking for a bulk renaming function that would update the urls without breaking the links.  I only have one line of asp code in the pages which I am going to remove.  I am thinking of moving a site from a windows server to a unix server.  I can probably keep the asp page names...I just thought it would look better if they were html instead of asp.

Peter

Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:00 AM
  • I can probably keep the asp page names...I just thought it would look better if they were html instead of asp.

Hmm... not sure why. I have yet to encounter an *nix Web server that didn't support ASP (Chilisoft ASP is dirt cheap, and many providers are still supporting legacy sites that use ASP).. The visitor is really not going to care what your internal page links look like, if they even see them. And as Kathy pointed out, doing it outside EW is going to hose all of your internal links. I would say to just don't worry about it...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:17 AM
  • "...I just thought it would look better if they were html instead of asp."

I agree with Scott that this is a non-issue.  When you surf the web, I doubt you even look at the page URLs.  Would a casual user who did look at the page URLs even know the differences among .htm, .html, .asp, .php, .aspx, etc., including pages that have no extension at all, and would they care?  Not likely.  People will know the site address (yoursite.com), and then never look at the browser's URL box again while traversing your site using your links.

Kathleen Wilber

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:54 AM