CQWP with Managed Metadata RRS feed

• Question

• I have a site column of type managed metadata that allows multiple values.  I'd like to be able to query / filter this column in a document library but just realized that the CQWP does not support columns that have multiple values.  Any ways around this?
    Monday, June 21, 2010 5:17 PM

Answers

• I have managed to get it to work, but sadly I do not know why it did not work in the 1st place.  I can say that the 2010 CQWP does support managed metadata fields with multi-value enabled.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• It just seems that there should be a way to get a list view based on a managed metadata column that can have multiple values.  Otherwise you'd need to have one document uploaded multiple times (one time for each metadata value you'd like to assign to it).
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:41 PM
  • You have to look at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ecm/archive/2010/05/14/what-s-new-with-the-content-query-web-part.aspx
    Romeo Pruno | Microsoft MVP SharePoint Server | http://www.nonaka.eu/feed
    Monday, June 21, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Romeo, that points me in the right direction if I fully understood where the "All Tags" is coming from... or further, the author says that CQWPs support managed metadata columns that allow multiple values.  I have yet to get this to work.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please also see the following article for Content Query Web Part in SharePoint 2010.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/seanearp/archive/2009/11/17/content-query-web-part-on-sharepoint-2010-supports-multi-value-lookup-fields.aspx

Please take care the notes and some special conditions mentioned by the author:

this will only work in narrow circumstances.., multi-value lookup fields against a single list, or single-value fields in multiple lists, but not both at the same time.

Please check your scenario when using CQWP.

If the issues still persists, here is a walk around in Moss 2007:

Using  event handler to copy multiple values to a single text field and show the result in CQWP.

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Aaron

Friday, June 25, 2010 10:37 AM
  • So the core issue here is that the SPSiteDataQuery that the CQWP is based on doesn't return multi-value lookup fields (the EMM field is modeled on a lookup field).

However, if you choose to use the CQWP in single list mode, a different query mechanism is used (the single list query) that does allow for multi-value fields to be queried / returned.

Pat.

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:58 PM
  • "It just seems that there should be a way to get a list view based on a managed metadata column that can have multiple values"

Am I missing something huge here? It does seem like you ought to be able to create a view that filters on managed metadata fields, however this doesn't seem to be possible.

In my case, I want a web part which shows a view of a single library, but is pre-filtered on a managed metatdata term. When I use the "Filter" option in the Modify View screen, it says I can't use "contains" with that type of field.  But how else can I do it?  If I use key filters on a view, I can filter to the value I need, but I can preconfigure it in a view.

Is the CQWP the only option I have?  Hoping there's a simple answer

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:35 AM
  • To clarify things, I believe that the Content Query Web Part should fit the bill here.  You just need to select a specific list in the Query section.  You shouldn't use the view pane, but the "Additional Filters:" section of the query section.

Does this not work for you?

Pat.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:58 PM
  • I have managed to get it to work, but sadly I do not know why it did not work in the 1st place.  I can say that the 2010 CQWP does support managed metadata fields with multi-value enabled.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Can you elaborate on the methods you used to get this working? I've been trying to use a multi-valued managed metadata page field to filter the CQWP and it does not work. The column name will not show in the dropdown unless it is single-valued.
    Friday, August 6, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Mark, I created a Site Column that was of type Managed Metadata.  I set it to allow multiple values.  I then associated this site column to a custom Site Content Type.  I added the site content type to a document library.

I then went and added a CQWP to a page:

1. pointed the query source to show items from the following list: the document library i added the site content type to
    2. set the content type to my site content type
    3. under additional filters, i set to show items when <my site column> contains all of <select tags>.

Friday, August 6, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hi all,

In my case, I don't get it to worked for multiple values managed metadata column, only worked for a single value column.

Anybody can confirm that ?

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:46 AM
  • If anyone is after the solution, you can only use a multiple value managed metadata column when you set the query source of 'Show items from the following list:'. Neither of the other options allow you to use this type field in queries.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:30 PM