Project shows Finish date before Start date in new task RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project Professional 2013.

I have some tasks where Project shows task with a Finish date that is earlier than the Start date.

How is this possible?

Monday, September 19, 2016 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The save for sharing method does not create a new file (contrary to the XML export), that's why this is the recommended method for repairing file for Project Server and Project Online. You'll keep the same project UID, so all external links, timesheets and any references will be kept.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:36 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did those tasks' dates change suddenly for some reasons? Can you post a screenshot? Are the task manually scheduled? Can you reproduce the issue on a blank new file?

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hi

It suddenly happened about two weeks ago and I am not aware of having done anything different. I use 'resource levelling' a lot and that is how I noticed it.

As a workaround, I inserted a blank line below the 'strange tasks' and copied field for field into the new task. The new one had correct dates which answers your last question as 'no'.

The tasks are all on auto schedule.

The challenge was that with that it was impossible to update the wrong tasks by changing the start date to the correct date. It kept on juimping ahead. It also influenecd the other tasks for the affected resource so that I couldn't schedule anything.

The only way around it was to delete the tasks as mentioned above.

I'm wondering if they will pop up again.

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

It seems to be related to one unique project, thus I'd say that the file might be corrupted. You could try the "save for sharing" method to repair it.

https://masterbehind.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/microsoft-project-2010-server-save-file-for-share/

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 19, 2016 12:20 PM
  • I'd prefer not to create a new file as there are a number of other project files linked to it and we'd need to do the links all over again.

I agree that the file is probably corrupted and the question is only  how bad it is and of course, what caused it.

I'll monitor the situation and if it looks serious then I'll implement your suggestion.

Monday, September 19, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

The save for sharing method does not create a new file (contrary to the XML export), that's why this is the recommended method for repairing file for Project Server and Project Online. You'll keep the same project UID, so all external links, timesheets and any references will be kept.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:36 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 1:58 PM
  • I have Project Professional 2013 and  save for sharing seems to be under the 'Share' option.

I don't see it when I open MS Project. Is there a reason why it would have disappeared?

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Save for sharing is only available if you are working with Project Online or Project Server. Is it your case?

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Yes, I use Project Server 2013 and Project Professional 2013.

Save for Sharing seems to pop up now and then but often doesn't show when I click on File - share

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:55 PM
  • 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Strange.. Have you a good connectivity? Are you upgraded to the latest package? Have you tried repairing Project?

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:28 PM
  • I did a repair on MS Project.

I have good connectivity.

I have SP 2

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:25 PM
  • I worked out what the problem was. The project needs to be checked out, otherwise the file share doesn't show the 'save for sharing'.

I opened two files on MS project, working online with project server. One was checked out and the other wasn't and it only showed it for the checked out file.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:29 PM