none
Local library supported for RecognizeText? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a new user of the Cognitive Services API, and the Recognize Text call in particular.

Is there any licensing option, wherein the module's functionality is provided to me as a Python module, so that I can invoke it on my local machine, without making a cloud remote API?

Thanks.

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Prashant,

You can use containers for cognitive services. This allows you to isolate your application and call the same API's locally and use it in your local instead. You only need to configure the billing endpoint for your container which will report the usage to Azure for billing purposes only.

For recognize text API the containers are only available for english language. You must first complete and submit the Cognitive Services Vision Containers Request form to request access to the container. The form requests information about you, your company, and the user scenario for which you'll use the container. Once submitted, the Azure Cognitive Services team reviews the form to ensure that you meet the criteria for access to the private container registry.

I hope this helps you to start with containers for cognitive services.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 9:49 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you. I will try this out.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, my request to try out a container was declined.

Are there other options for local usage of the Recognize Text API?

Thanks.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:52 AM
  • Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:22 AM
  • I'm looking to get the functionality of the Recognize Text API, but without the latency of a network access. I requested access to a Docker container, but my request was rejected. 

Would you have any other suggestions? Are there open source/public domain libraries (for Python) that work along the same lines as the Recognize Text API? I've tried Tesseract, but was not happy with the result quailty.

Thanks.

Saturday, May 25, 2019 11:27 AM