none
Cannot access back end database for Access Web App RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get my DSN or SQL Server Management Console to connect to the backend Azure database.

I followed these prety straightforward instructions: http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_access_support_team_blog/archive/2014/03/24/how-to-make-external-connections-to-an-access-web-app-new.aspx

But I am getting an error message saying that my IP is not allowed. Tried from home and office computers.

Here is the error message:

I did tell AWA to open a read/write connection and From Any Location.

What am I doing wrong?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:12 AM

Answers

• It is working now. Not entirely sure why.

I was just poking around again and I selected the From My Location instead of From Any Location. Turns out you can select both. Now it works. If I go back and unselect From My Location and leave From Any Location selected it appears to keep working.

So one of two things is happening as far as I can tell.

First, SQL Azure connections were just down or buggy or something and Microsoft has now fixed it.

Second, you need to "prime the pump" with From My Location before you can use From Any Location.

- Brad

• Marked as answer by Brad Mathews Monday, February 1, 2016 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:44 PM

All replies

• Do you want to blot out the User ID and IP address?

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:16 PM
  • This is just a play database while I learn AWA, so if someone were to waste all that time guessing my password rather than going after something useful, I will have accomplished some good ;-)

And the dynamic IP to my home computer will be changed in a week or so anyway. Am I naive on that?

- Brad

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:58 PM
  • It is working now. Not entirely sure why.

I was just poking around again and I selected the From My Location instead of From Any Location. Turns out you can select both. Now it works. If I go back and unselect From My Location and leave From Any Location selected it appears to keep working.

So one of two things is happening as far as I can tell.

First, SQL Azure connections were just down or buggy or something and Microsoft has now fixed it.

Second, you need to "prime the pump" with From My Location before you can use From Any Location.

- Brad

• Marked as answer by Brad Mathews Monday, February 1, 2016 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Hi Brad,

The first choose "From Any Location" for the connection won't faille the connection. When we change the connection properties, it will take sometime to make it work.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:36 AM