Enabling .Net 3.5 on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure I'm posting this to the correct group - if not, please offer suggestions of a better place. 

I am enabling .Net V3.5 on Windows 8 via DISM through a third party installation routing (Advanced Installer).  The way it is being invoked is by calling the command interpreter with administrator rights and issuing the command: "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All".  This works, but the UI presented to my end users isn't particularly useful, or even indicative that anythign is happening.  What the user sees is a dos box, stating that it is enabling features - it reaches 66% almost immediately then appears to freeze for a few minutes, then jumps to 99% and then finally completes. 

Note that I'm not sending a /sources parameter.  The appropriate media is apparently automatically downloaded from some location because if i disable the internet connection, there is a message that the required files cannot be downloaded.  This is fine - I'm not that worried about that at this time.

The problem is the UI presented ot the end user appears to freeze when there is something still happening.  Is it possible to enable some kind of more useful or GUI like interface so my end users don't think things have just hung up?

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:42 PM

Answers

• Let me ask the question this way: "Is there a way of getting Windows 8 to go through the same steps it goes through to enable V3.5 of the .Net framework that it goes through when encountering a .Net application, but without actually launching a .Net application?

If you manually enable .net framework feature, it will go through the same steps when you run a .net framework 3.5 application on windows 8.

To do this through msi, you can select .net framework 3.5 in prerequisites windows. However, Advanced installer is a third party product, I'm not sure if it provide such features. You can get the answer in their forum.

If you are using setup project, then you can access the dialog by following the link below.

To access this dialog box, select a project node in Solution Explorer, and then, on the Project menu, click Properties. When theProject Designer appears, click the Publish tab. On the Publish page, click Prerequisites. For Setup projects, on the Project menu, click Properties. When the Property Pages dialog box appears, click Prerequisites.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7tx0bw8y(v=vs.100).aspx

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by MattFielder Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Mattfielder,

This dialog is same to enable .net framework 3.5 manually on Windows 8,see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

The DISM command can used to enable the windows feature when you cannot connect to the internet.

As the document, the dialog is appear when you enable windows feature, I don't think you can change this behavior through the installer.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:02 AM
  • I do need the installer to take care of enabling the .Net framework.  The reason waiting for the application to be launched won't work is the installer also has an installer custom action that needs to execute.  (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d9k65z2d(v=vs.80).aspx)  This is necessary to set some things up on the target machine.  Using the DISM command as listed in my original post does work, but I would prefer the UI that shows when an application is run instead of the minimal UI of installing through DISM. 

Note: I already tried setting it up so that the installer launches a .Net application and forces the OS through the automatic feature enable option, but an error code is returned to the installer.

Let me ask the question this way: "Is there a way of getting Windows 8 to go through the same steps it goes through to enable V3.5 of the .Net framework that it goes through when encountering a .Net application, but without actually launching a .Net application?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Let me ask the question this way: "Is there a way of getting Windows 8 to go through the same steps it goes through to enable V3.5 of the .Net framework that it goes through when encountering a .Net application, but without actually launching a .Net application?

If you manually enable .net framework feature, it will go through the same steps when you run a .net framework 3.5 application on windows 8.

To do this through msi, you can select .net framework 3.5 in prerequisites windows. However, Advanced installer is a third party product, I'm not sure if it provide such features. You can get the answer in their forum.

If you are using setup project, then you can access the dialog by following the link below.

To access this dialog box, select a project node in Solution Explorer, and then, on the Project menu, click Properties. When theProject Designer appears, click the Publish tab. On the Publish page, click Prerequisites. For Setup projects, on the Project menu, click Properties. When the Property Pages dialog box appears, click Prerequisites.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7tx0bw8y(v=vs.100).aspx

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by MattFielder Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:25 AM