Anyone traced the .NET 3.5.1 download (x64)?

Question

• REALLY getting tired of the slow download I keep needing to do, wondering if anyone traced the URL for .NET 3.5.1 download (x64 in particular) so that I can manually download the bits?

This will change with each update so not expecting a long lasting or stable solution, just a work around for the next little while which doesn't involve all those downloads.

Robert MacLean - www.sadev.co.za
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks Andre, I've been looking for the answer to this ever since the BUILD build came out.

Yours is the simplest solution for those struggling behind a corporate firewall that needs authentication, or if you are offline.

Command line is (assuming DVD is D drive -- on Win 8 Client ensure command prompt is elevated):

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I kinda sure Microsoft will give us an alternative when Windows 8 comes out.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)

no, DISM is the prefered way. This is written in the Windows and Windows Server Developer Preview Compatibility Cookbook.

If the user performs a clean installation of Windows Developer Preview, apps that require .NET Framework 3.5 (or 2.0) will trigger a request for the necessary files. Normally the missing files will be downloaded from Windows Update (after asking the user for permission), but if access to Windows Update is not possible, enabling .NET Framework 3.5 will fail.

Mitigation

To enable .NET Framework 3.5 on only a few machines with clean installs of Windows Developer Preview:

1.       Copy \sources\sxs\ from the mounted operating system build ISO image to dotnet35 or similar folder. For example:

xcopy e:\sources\sxs\*.* c:\dotnet35 /s

2.       Execute the following command line using admin privileges:

Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\dotnet35 /LimitAccess

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:30 PM

All replies

• If I'm not wrong, I think this framework is installed by default and you just have to enable it trough "disable / enable windows features".

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:39 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:39:52 +0000, Dylan-Meeus wrote:

If I'm not wrong, I think this framework is installed by default and you just have to enable it trough "disable / enable windows features".

In Windows 7 and Server 2008 and 2008 R2, it shipped on the install media.
    In the current release of Windows 8, it isn't on the install media, and
    when you select it from the Windows Features window, it goes out to Windows
    Update, downloads it, and then installs it.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:47 PM
  • We've tried that, but get "failed to install"....??
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:44 PM
  • We even download the package separately & try to install it - same error "failed to install".  (x64 on both physical & virtual)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:46 PM
  • look in the WindowsUpdate.log for the link It is a cab and a psf file. Download both and use DISM to install the CAB.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:13 PM
  • look in the WindowsUpdate.log for the link It is a cab and a psf file. Download both and use DISM to install the CAB.

What's DISM?
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:20 AM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:20:52 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

What's DISM?

http://www.google.ca/search?q=DISM&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=DYF8Tr7hBInv0gH5ouXhDw#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&source=hp&q=DISM+site:microsoft.com&pbx=1&oq=DISM+site:microsoft.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=36219l41353l0l41909l19l18l0l0l0l0l229l2377l9.6.3l18l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=92a3413692e30b0b&biw=1536&bih=795

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The computer is mightier than the pen, the sword, and usually, the
    programmer.

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Ah, I see. Is it that "handy" as was the pkgmgr?

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Better, because it combines ImageX ((Un)Mount) + pkgmgr.

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:48 PM
  • I've been trying to install 3.5.1 on my developer preview.  I have tried copying all of the sxs sources to a temp folder and then run dism to install, but no matter how or what I do, I get an error code or 1603 (which is generic and useless).  Here's my command-line version:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\temp /LimitAccess

I have verified I was running from an elevated command prompt.  My log contains the following: 

Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 CBS session options=0x20100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=2716  Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x80070643) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070643)

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x80070643)

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed ProcessChanges. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ProcessFeatureChange(hr:0x80070643)

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed while processing command enable-feature. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070643)

Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070643

Any hints?  One posting I found indicated I should install the developer preview without the debugging tools, but I've already got a ton of things installed, and would hate to start over again now...

-J

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:00 PM
  • I think that what you are looking for is to install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 in Windows “8” Developer Preview. Currently, you will need to use Windows Update to do the trick. Note that .Net Framework 3.5.1 and .Net Framework 4.5 are optional components which are being turned “off” by default. From “Turn Windows Features on or off”, you can tick Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 and Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5; Microsoft will automatically use Windows Update to download and install required components to turn “on” Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:52 AM
  • I've been trying to install 3.5.1 on my developer preview.  I have tried copying all of the sxs sources to a temp folder and then run dism to install, but no matter how or what I do, I get an error code or 1603 (which is generic and useless).  Here's my command-line version:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\temp /LimitAccess

I have verified I was running from an elevated command prompt.  My log contains the following: 

Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 CBS session options=0x20100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize

Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=2716  Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x80070643) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070643)

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x80070643)

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed ProcessChanges. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ProcessFeatureChange(hr:0x80070643)

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Failed while processing command enable-feature. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070643)

Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5164 TID=5372 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070643

Any hints?  One posting I found indicated I should install the developer preview without the debugging tools, but I've already got a ton of things installed, and would hate to start over again now...

-J

On what package it failed? I think here must have been a line with calls from CDISMPackage:: before this line. 

Just because you have an error from a CBS thread (see, it has a different thread ID) what if you try the System Update Readiness Tool and look at these logs

• %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

But first check the logs before running the tool. Possibly, the CBS log is already there.

I don't know whether it works for Windows 6.2 but...

What do you see in Application log by the way?

It all looks like some files necessary to install the feature are missing. Are you sure you copied all of them?

BTW, what if you disable UAC for a moment?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:31 AM
  •  Microsoft will automatically use Windows Update to download and install required components to turn “on” Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sure but if your computer has been applied with a WSUS domain policy, Windows will be unable to download these components just because it relies on beta.update.microsoft.com. You will be able to download components if one of the following is met:

1. Your administrator configured the WSUS to use beta update source in addition to standard update source.

I can be done by using the following procedure (I am quoting here):

Just copy the following line in to a command prompt and run it.

cscript.exe "%programfiles%\update services\tools\ToggleMUUrl.vbs" beta

Note that your WSUS server must be using WSUS SP1 for this script to work.

This script should be run on WSUS server and NOT on the client Windows 8 computer.

For more information, see "Updating Windows Vista Beta 2 Computers" article. The article is about Vista but it mostly talks about configuring WSUS to receive beta updates for any beta version of Microsoft OS.

2. Your administrator has placed your computer to a separate OU that does not have a WSUS GPO applied.

3. You turn the domain WSUS GPO settings temporary by applying a registry patch as described here.

If you don't do that, you'll be receiving 0x800F0906  error code each time Windows tries connecting to Windows update in order to add the feature.

Personally I resolved the problem as described here.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:11 AM
  • dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\temp /LimitAccess

-J

Have you copied all files from WDPDVD\Sources\SxS to C:\Temp? The SxS fodler contains the .net 3.5 files.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Thanks Jonathan/others, DISM worked for me.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Will 3.5.1 be included in a future release??  (as opposed to having to download it)

Or ensure 4.5 is "backward compatible" for apps/products looking for 3.5.1??

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:46 PM
  • .net 3.5.1 is on the DVD. Use the DISM command.

To avoid the installation of .net 3.5.1 insert

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>

to the config file of your .net app.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thanks Andre, I've been looking for the answer to this ever since the BUILD build came out.

Yours is the simplest solution for those struggling behind a corporate firewall that needs authentication, or if you are offline.

Command line is (assuming DVD is D drive -- on Win 8 Client ensure command prompt is elevated):

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:28 PM
  • download 

Windows Live Essentials 2011 from  microsoft.com it automatically install NET 3.5.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:04 PM
  • download 

Windows Live Essentials 2011 from  microsoft.com it automatically install NET 3.5.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:08 PM
  • But if you need a clean machine for your testing (e.g. I don't want to install Live Essentials on my server) use DISM with the DVD.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:45 PM
  • This line appears to have worked like a charm - thanks Rick.  Also agree w/CaptainMVP below - MS should give an alternative when future releases come out (like it "just works" when you click the 3.5.1 checkbox during install).
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:56 PM

no, DISM is the prefered way. This is written in the Windows and Windows Server Developer Preview Compatibility Cookbook.

If the user performs a clean installation of Windows Developer Preview, apps that require .NET Framework 3.5 (or 2.0) will trigger a request for the necessary files. Normally the missing files will be downloaded from Windows Update (after asking the user for permission), but if access to Windows Update is not possible, enabling .NET Framework 3.5 will fail.

Mitigation

To enable .NET Framework 3.5 on only a few machines with clean installs of Windows Developer Preview:

1.       Copy \sources\sxs\ from the mounted operating system build ISO image to dotnet35 or similar folder. For example:

xcopy e:\sources\sxs\*.* c:\dotnet35 /s

2.       Execute the following command line using admin privileges:

Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\dotnet35 /LimitAccess

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hey Andre.

I tried this method of enabling 3.5.  I did a clean install.  It just hangs at the message "Image version 6.2.8102.0"

Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Can you please upload the DISM.log from C:\Windows\Logs\DISM?

Monday, October 03, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Andre and Rick Thanks Guys.  I have been trying to discover the fix for this issue for a couple of days and this worked.  Everyone you can stop trying to reinvent the wheel.  This really works.  I just would like to point out that X in the syntax below is the CD-ROM source drive.

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:X:\sources\sxs

Thanks a bunch Gents.  Now I hope that your Windows Developer Preview experience will be a great one.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:16 PM
  • dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:X:\sources\sxs really works thanks guys now that annoying dialog is gone but make sure that X is the DVD rom were you inserted your windows 8 DVD.

Thanks a lot

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:52 PM
  • DISM.exe does not work for me:(

The below is copied from the log:

2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered the option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered an unknown option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered the option "source" with value "\\xxxx\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered an unknown option "source" with value "\\xxxx\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Please could you post the exact command line you used
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:29 AM
  • C:\Windows\system32>dism.exe /online /enable-feature /FeatureName:NetFX3 /Source
    :\\xxxx\sources\sxs

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.2.8130.0

Image Version: 6.2.8130.0

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================66.5%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f0906

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
    For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

===============================================================================

2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered the option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered an unknown option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered the option "source" with value "\\xxxx\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Encountered an unknown option "source" with value "\\xxxx\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 00:50:50, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Initiating Changes on Package with values: 5, 7 - CDISMPackage::Internal_ChangePackageState
    2011-10-27 00:50:51, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 CBS session options=0x40100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
    2011-10-27 00:51:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=1812  Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x800f0906) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
    2011-10-27 00:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f0906)
    2011-10-27 00:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x800f0906)
    2011-10-27 00:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Failed ProcessChanges. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ProcessFeatureChange(hr:0x800f0906)
    2011-10-27 00:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Failed while processing command enable-feature. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f0906)
    2011-10-27 00:51:01, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4772 TID=4308 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
    2011-10-27 00:51:01, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800F0906

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:38 AM
  • So you have a remote server called xxxx with a share called sources?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Yes:)

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:14 AM
  • I copied the sxs folder to loca c:\win8\sxs, then run the command and got the same result.

c:\Windows\Logs\DISM>dism.exe /online /enable-feature /FeatureName:NetFX3 /Sourc
    e:C:\Win8\sxs

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.2.8130.0

Image Version: 6.2.8130.0

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================65.8%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f0906

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
    For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

2011-10-27 02:22:16, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5116 TID=4940 Encountered the option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 02:22:16, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5116 TID=4940 Encountered an unknown option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 02:22:16, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5116 TID=4940 Encountered the option "source" with value "C:\Win8\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2011-10-27 02:22:16, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=5116 TID=4940 Encountered an unknown option "source" with value "C:\Win8\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:23 AM
  • I suggest you mount the ISO (native ISO mount is a new Win 8 feature) you used to install Win 8 and use the syntax exactly as provided where X is the mounted ISO:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:X:\sources\sxs

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:32 AM
  • You missed the LimitAccess flag which tells Windows to NOT download files from the Internet ;)

• Proposed as answer by GreenScrew Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:58 PM
  • It worked for me, once I had the syntax and spacing worked out!
    Monday, February 27, 2012 7:03 PM