Illegal characters in path RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a ComboBox that has file paths; @"C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt"

I have ComboBox1 select the file from the Collects that pull down. When I use the ComboBox in

FileStream or StreamWriter as StreamWrite sw = new StreamWriter(Combobox1.Text); for file path and name I get - "Illegal characters in path".

Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers

• But this is not the problem, I assume the problem is that file does not exist, tr this code, it has to work (it does for me):

private void comboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                string file = comboBox2.SelectedItem.ToString();
                if (!File.Exists(file))
                {
                    FileStream fs = new FileStream(file, FileMode.CreateNew);
                    fs.Close();
                }
                using (StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(file))
                { 

}
            }

Mitja
    • Marked as answer by sojour Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:30 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:52 PM
  • If the ComboBox has this value in it:

@"C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt"

Then it's probably complaining about the @ symbol and the quotes. The @ symbol is used in code to indicate that the following string's \ characters should be treated literally instead of as escape characters. The goal of @ and the quotes is to tell the program what value to put into a string variable. If you look at the value after it is entered, you won't see those characters in the actual string.

But here you're getting the string from a control. Whatever the control displays is what will really be put in the string. Probably in this example you need to put this string in the ComboBox:

C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt

Rod Stephens, Visual Basic Programming 24-Hour Trainer (http://www.vb-helper.com/24hourvb.htm)
    • Marked as answer by Lie You Monday, October 3, 2011 3:31 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:01 PM

All replies

• You should use ComboBox.SelectedText or ComboBox.SelectedItem property.

• Edited by Adnan Dedic Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:48 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Use inside parentheses as argument:

comboBox1.SelectedItem.ToString();

Mitja
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:47 PM
  • But this is not the problem, I assume the problem is that file does not exist, tr this code, it has to work (it does for me):

private void comboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                if (!File.Exists(file))
                {
                    FileStream fs = new FileStream(file, FileMode.CreateNew);
                    fs.Close();
                }
                using (StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(file))
                { 

}
            }

Mitja
    • Marked as answer by sojour Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:30 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:52 PM
  • I get empty path not legal
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:59 PM
  • I get illegal characters in path.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:59 PM
  • When you debug the code: What is inside the file variable after 

Just debug the program to find out, what is inside the variables and what is going on exactly.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hmm.. then is something wrong with the path...

You know what you can do, since your file is in MyDocuments, try to get the MyDocuments path by C# code, and add only your file name:

//when adding items to comboBox:
    string pathMyDocuments = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments);
    comboBox2.Items.Add(System.IO.Path.Combine(pathMyDocuments, "File.txt"));

Do the same for the other items (files).

Mitja
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:06 PM
  • If the ComboBox has this value in it:

@"C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt"

Then it's probably complaining about the @ symbol and the quotes. The @ symbol is used in code to indicate that the following string's \ characters should be treated literally instead of as escape characters. The goal of @ and the quotes is to tell the program what value to put into a string variable. If you look at the value after it is entered, you won't see those characters in the actual string.

But here you're getting the string from a control. Whatever the control displays is what will really be put in the string. Probably in this example you need to put this string in the ComboBox:

C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt

Rod Stephens, Visual Basic Programming 24-Hour Trainer (http://www.vb-helper.com/24hourvb.htm)
    • Marked as answer by Lie You Monday, October 3, 2011 3:31 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I doubt tha "@" symbol can be the reason for this issue, not it this case. Try it by your self.

If this case there are two possible solutions:

1.  @"C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt" 

2.  "C:\\Users\\Name\\My Documents\\File.txt"

"@" simbol only indicateas that its not need to write double back-slashes for valid path. But both cases are "equal" for the system (recognizing the valid path).

Mitja
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:18 PM
  • The @ and \\ symbols are only for use in your code. This path is not coming from code, it's coming from a control and it has no idea that those symbols mean anything special. It's as if you entered @"C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt" in a TextBox. Or even if you opened Windows Explorer and entered it in the navigation area. The @, ", \\, and other symbols get entered literally and confuse Windows Explorer.

Try putting just the true path with no special symbols C:\Users\Name\My Documents\File.txt in the ComboBox and see what happens.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:21 AM