FormView validation problem RRS feed

• Question

• User1510859543 posted

We have a FormView (see sample markup below) that is not bypassing validation on the Cancel button.  I have a feeling that it has something to do with required="required" on the TextBox (input) control but not sure why. I would prefer not to use the RequiredFieldValidator unless it is the only option.  When a user clicks the "Cancel" button it attempts to validate all TextBox controls even though the button has CausesValidation="False". Any way around this?

<asp:FormView ID="fvRegistration" runat="server" DataKeyNames="RegistrationID" 
                    DataSourceID="SqlRegistrations" DefaultMode="Insert">
                    <InsertItemTemplate>
                        <table>
                            <tr>
                                <td style="text-align: right">
                                    First Name:<span class="required">*</span>
                                </td>
                                <td>
                                    <asp:TextBox ID="txtOrgFirstName" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("OrgFirstName") %>' MaxLength="20" required="required" />
                                </td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr>
                                <td style="text-align: center">
                                    <asp:Button ID="BtnInsert" runat="server" CausesValidation="True" 
                                        CommandName="Insert" Text="Submit" OnClientClick="return submitForm('info_form');" />
                                </td>
                                <td style="text-align: center;">
                                    <asp:Button ID="BtnInsertCancel" runat="server" 
                                        CausesValidation="False" CommandName="Cancel" Text="Cancel" ForeColor="#FF3300" />
                                </td>
                            </tr>
                        </table>
                    </InsertItemTemplate>
                </asp:FormView>

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:56 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

So there is no way to bypass the client API validation?

You are in control of the validation API used in the application.  I assume you are using HTML 5 validation which, as far as I know, is a different API than what ASP Server Control Validation uses.  Unless something changed in the latest framework.

You need to settle on a validation strategy and use that same strategy throughout the application.  

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Forms/Form_validation

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:48 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

You need to settle on the validation you intend to use.  If you are using validation server controls, then remove the client API validation.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:06 PM
  • User1510859543 posted

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:28 PM
  • User475983607 posted

You are in control of the validation API used in the application.  I assume you are using HTML 5 validation which, as far as I know, is a different API than what ASP Server Control Validation uses.  Unless something changed in the latest framework.

You need to settle on a validation strategy and use that same strategy throughout the application.  

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Forms/Form_validation

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:48 PM
  • User1510859543 posted

Too bad if you just want to cancel entry.  I did notice that you can click the back button to exit and it bypasses checking.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:56 PM
  • User475983607 posted

dlchase

Too bad if you just want to cancel entry.  I did notice that you can click the back button to exit and it bypasses checking.

I assume you settled on HTML 5 validation? Then simply do an HTTP GET rather than a post.  Or use a button type rather than a submit.  Did you read the posted link?

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:53 PM
  • User1510859543 posted

Yes, I read the link.  I tried the js function below in OnClientClick property and it did bypass the API.

function goBack() {
                if (confirm('Are you sure you want to Cancel?') === true) {
                    window.history.back();
                }
            }

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:07 PM