none
Visual Studio 2010 not finding .net 4 Framework

Question

• Hi,

I have quite a few projects I have developed in VS 2010.

Recently they are not opening, I am getting errors that claim that .net 4 framework is not on my PC.

It is though, these projects are using .net 4.

I have some projects in VS 2013 that use .net 4 and they are fine.

Not sure what is going on here.

Pasted below is the error dialog,

And a screen shot from within VS 2010, showing .net 4 is not being found.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Hoop

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi  Jeff,

If you can find the .net 4 version in VS2013, the .net 4 framework should be installed in your machine.

So the cause should be in your VS2010. Something is wrong in your VS2010.

Please try running your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

If still no help. I suggest you could uninstall your VS2010 and reinstall it again. In addition, since the VS2013 has the .net 4 framework, if possible, you can use the VS2013 to develop your project. As far as I know, the projects which developed in VS2010 should be compatible with VS2013.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi  Jeff,

Thanks for your post.

>>Recently they are not opening, I am getting errors that claim that .net 4 framework is not on my PC.

According to the error message and the screenshot you provided, I think the issue is that your missing the ,NET 4 framework version in your machine.

Generally if you installed the VS2010, it will install the .NET 4 framework automatically:

So first please repair your Visual Studio 2010 in control panel, after that, try it again. Or you can install the .NET 4 framework in the web site below separately.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, October 14, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I have tried .net framework installs and that does not work, I get this dialog,

Have been able to run the repair as it asks for the CD, which I do not have.

With the framework being resident on my PC it seems like VS 2010 has some sort of problem seeing it, always use to work.

I am thinking a recent upgrade has done some damage.

Also, here is a screen shot from VS 2013 showing the .net frameworks that are on my PC.

Thanks

Jeff

Hoop

• Edited by Jeff26 Friday, October 14, 2016 11:43 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Hi Lake,

I decided to try a complete VS 2010 reinstall.

Did not have any CD's but the downloads to care of all that.

For some reason that did fix the issue.

The .net 4 framework was on my PC previously, must have been an issue with VS 2010 not seeing it.

Thanks

Jeff

Hoop

Friday, October 14, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi  Jeff,

If you can find the .net 4 version in VS2013, the .net 4 framework should be installed in your machine.

So the cause should be in your VS2010. Something is wrong in your VS2010.

Please try running your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

If still no help. I suggest you could uninstall your VS2010 and reinstall it again. In addition, since the VS2013 has the .net 4 framework, if possible, you can use the VS2013 to develop your project. As far as I know, the projects which developed in VS2010 should be compatible with VS2013.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:12 AM