none
Incorrect my actual location..... RRS feed

• Question

• Shame, the map loacation already incorrected for more the 2wks, the my actiual location is at least 400m away located in bing map..... & all the buildings, stores etc are also incorrectly located. this error not just in W10m, also happen in all win10 device. pls fix it nor how such we trust / buy MS win10 devices !!!!
    Monday, March 12, 2018 6:30 AM

Answers

• It sounds like you are talking about the "locate me" function which approximately places your location on the map. If so, then the accuracy of this is dependent on a number of factors, such as your device hardware, your internet connection, your surroundings. Your location is determined using one of the following methods:

Locating method

Accuracy

Global Positioning System (GPS)

5 meters - 15 meters

Wi-Fi triangulation

10 meters - 350 meters

Cell phone tower triangulation

40 meters - 5 kilometers

IP address resolution

Within 50 kilometers

I suspect that your location is being calculated based on WI-FI triangulation or IP address (assuming you are using a laptop and not a cell phone). This would align with the 400m offset you mentioned. You likely aren't getting a GPS accurate location for one of two reasons; your device doesn't have a GPS chip in it or you are not able to get a GPS signal (normally happens when inside a building). 

Note that the location methods I mentioned above and their accuracy standards across the industry and not Windows 10 specific.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, March 12, 2018 3:22 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are talking about the "locate me" function which approximately places your location on the map. If so, then the accuracy of this is dependent on a number of factors, such as your device hardware, your internet connection, your surroundings. Your location is determined using one of the following methods:

Locating method

Accuracy

Global Positioning System (GPS)

5 meters - 15 meters

Wi-Fi triangulation

10 meters - 350 meters

Cell phone tower triangulation

40 meters - 5 kilometers

IP address resolution

Within 50 kilometers

I suspect that your location is being calculated based on WI-FI triangulation or IP address (assuming you are using a laptop and not a cell phone). This would align with the 400m offset you mentioned. You likely aren't getting a GPS accurate location for one of two reasons; your device doesn't have a GPS chip in it or you are not able to get a GPS signal (normally happens when inside a building). 

Note that the location methods I mentioned above and their accuracy standards across the industry and not Windows 10 specific.

Monday, March 12, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Hi Ricky,

I am not exactly sure if your response to the question posted resolves the problem.

What I reckon is being described is quite similar to a problem we are experiencing at my organisation - Liquid Telecoms.

We use GIS systems with BING as a base map. We create lines and points as vector data to represent different assets and showing network connections to Buildings. Now in the last 12 months or so, there have been a few updates on BING. The consequential effect of this update means there is a substantial offset between the new Imagery (Recently updated) and the old Imagery (Pre Update). This has resulted in our data created with the old imagery (Pre Update) to be represented with an offset.

The offset is about 30 meters away. In our line of work, an offset greater than or equal to 1 meter has major planning and financial consequences.

I need your urgent assistance or at least be directed to the right team who can assist.

Thanks

Tunde

Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Can you provide a location example so I can pass it on to the imagery provider for investigation.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:02 PM