Preventing theft of my web-application installed in LAN of client computer RRS feed

• Question

• User1040894247 posted

I have made a web-application for a company. It uses SQL server at back end and it is coded in ASP_C#.net

Now i will have to install the software in the client's LAN. Such that all the departments of the company can use the software.

And i am worried if somebody in that company will steal my source-code.

How can i make the source code invisible (i.e. generate object code that cannot be decompiled)

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:06 AM

Answers

• User-1949460947 posted

The first step is to precompile the application, which will build your C# source code into an assembly. If you opt-in to a non-updatable UI, your ASPX and ASCX markup will be built into assembly DLLs as well. Without this anyone who has direct access to the server can not only view your source code but can also modify it.

This whitepaper may help you: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb398860(v=vs.100).aspx

After you have .NET assemblies, the next step could be to obfuscate them which makes decompilation much more difficult.

Hope this helps,

- György

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:33 AM

All replies

• User-760709272 posted

Google for obfuscation tools.  They won't stop the code being decompiled, but they'll make it harder to gety any sense from the code.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:10 AM
  • User-1949460947 posted

The first step is to precompile the application, which will build your C# source code into an assembly. If you opt-in to a non-updatable UI, your ASPX and ASCX markup will be built into assembly DLLs as well. Without this anyone who has direct access to the server can not only view your source code but can also modify it.

This whitepaper may help you: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb398860(v=vs.100).aspx

After you have .NET assemblies, the next step could be to obfuscate them which makes decompilation much more difficult.

Hope this helps,

- György

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:33 AM