Broke Up a Project into Sub-Projects but not all Folder Names Changed RRS feed

• Question

• A project that I was working on got too big, so I broke it up intosmaller projects that each work on their own.  The way I did this was to save the Visual Studio project to 4 separate folders, and then renaming each application in "My Project" under the solution explorer.  I changed both the Assembly name and the Root spacename.  What did not change was the name of the folder holding the "bin" and "obj" folders.

Here's an example.  My first project was named Algebra.  I copied Algebra into a new folder named "Trigonometry".  I changed the Assembly name and the Root spacename in "My Project" from "Algebra" to "Trigonometry".  When I build the project, folder "Trigonometry" contains files "Trigonometry.sln", "Trigonometry.suo" and sub-folder "Algebra".  I would like the sub-folder to be named "Trigonometry".  I tried just renaming it in Windows, but that does not work.

My questions: Can you tell me how to rename the "Algebra" folder to "Trigonometry" without creating a program error? Are there any other "obvious" pitfalls I should be aware of in breaking up a project the way I did?  Note: I was carreful about variable names, deleting unneeded code, etc, and all four projects work; I just worry that I may have missed something that would be obvious to a more experienced programmer.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Earl

Earl Whitney

• Edited by earlwhitney Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Earl,

>>Can you tell me how to rename the "Algebra" folder to "Trigonometry" without creating a program error?  

You can rename the sub folder to "Trigonometry" firstly.  And then, open the "Trigonometry.sln" file via notepad, change one path in project node from “Algebra \[vbprojectname].vbproj” to “Trigonometry\[vbprojectname].vbproj”. After that, you can open the application normally.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Earl,

>>Can you tell me how to rename the "Algebra" folder to "Trigonometry" without creating a program error?  

You can rename the sub folder to "Trigonometry" firstly.  And then, open the "Trigonometry.sln" file via notepad, change one path in project node from “Algebra \[vbprojectname].vbproj” to “Trigonometry\[vbprojectname].vbproj”. After that, you can open the application normally.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:07 AM
  • So simple, yet so elegant!  Awesome response.  Thank you very much!  Earl

Earl Whitney

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:32 PM