Auto Update OOB 3 Tier App? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have published a new version of my LS OOB 3 Tier Desktop App but if I start the app from a client no auto update is running?

do I miss something or is it not possible to have auto update for a OOB
     3 Tier Desktop App?

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi

Keep one thing in mind that in 3-tier LS OOB app the auto update will work if you have a valid digital signature for your application. If you do not provide any digital signature, your client will not receive any update from the server automatically. In that case again you have to un-install the setup file and install the updated one.

HTH

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hi

Keep one thing in mind that in 3-tier LS OOB app the auto update will work if you have a valid digital signature for your application. If you do not provide any digital signature, your client will not receive any update from the server automatically. In that case again you have to un-install the setup file and install the updated one.

HTH

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Hello,

what kind of digital signature is needed and is this digital signature only installed on the server?

what's the reason for this - we use our client only "inhouse" - to use a 2 Tier Desktop is not possible because it needs 30 sec

to start!

robert

Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Hi

It is not the issue of Indoor or Outdoor. If you wish to publish the app 3-tier and wants your client to receive update automatically then you need to sign your application with a valid digital signature. Please go through the below video demonstrated by Beth about 3-tier desktop deployment. You will clearly understand the requirement of digital signature for client auto update.

How Do I: Deploy a LightSwitch App to Azure Websites.

HTH

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

• Edited by babloo1436 Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:22 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Here is a good article covers XAP signing for Silverlight applications.

Moving Beyond the Browser – Elevated Trust Applications

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:53 AM
  • I'm new to signing (digital signature)

• how to get a digital signature and where?
    • is it nessessary to install the digital signature on the client or only on the server?

robert

Sunday, December 2, 2012 10:21 AM