Power Pivot Sharing and development? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There

I realise this is a very high level question, I am about to get stuck into power pivot next week and read all the material, but I need know something right now as it is a requirement for a client.

1.Can power pivot connect to ssas cubes.

2. Can users define and share there power pivot sheets with each other, can a user define there own power pivot "reports" and store them as their reports in their own "workspace" or share them with the rest of the users.

3. I presume number 2 is accomplished through Power Pivot with Sharepoint?

4. Does number 3 work with sharepoint services or do you need sharepoint server?

Thanks for the help.

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:54 AM

Answers

• 1) Yes you can access to SSAS cubes starting from SSAS 2005. Analysis Services 2000 is not officially supported, even if it works (but not in SharePoint)

2-3-4) Yes SharePoint is ok for you, but you require the SharePoint Enterprise license.

Marco

Marco Russo
    • Marked as answer by Dietz Monday, May 17, 2010 8:38 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• 1) Yes you can access to SSAS cubes starting from SSAS 2005. Analysis Services 2000 is not officially supported, even if it works (but not in SharePoint)

2-3-4) Yes SharePoint is ok for you, but you require the SharePoint Enterprise license.

Marco

Marco Russo
    • Marked as answer by Dietz Monday, May 17, 2010 8:38 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Hi Marco

Cool thank you very much , yes i guessed as much around Sharepoint Enterprise.

Lastly do you know where I can get more information around number 2, various Powerpivot site show you the basics. do you know where i can find material on configuring Power pivot for users to create their own power pivot sheets and share them etc, so I guess more fo the Sharepoint Power Pivot admin side of things?

Thanks again

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:37 AM
  • I would suggest you to look at:

www.powerpivotpro.com

www.powerpivot-info.com

http://www.powerpivotblog.nl/ (it has a section "Getting Started with PowerPivot")

Marco

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:06 PM