Silverlight menu RRS feed

• Question

• I'm very suprised that there is no "ready to go" menu control in Silverlight...or maybe I just can't find it.

Can you guys point me to right direction, please ?

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:11 PM

Answers

All replies

•  Hi,

There is no  menu control provided.

but you can create that easily without much effort.

Even you can google and can find many menu controls for silverlight with there source code...

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:00 AM
  • I don't know what you exactly mean with a "ready to go menu" but why you don't simply create a Grid, but some buttons in there, implement the Click-EventHandler and set a custom Style for nice looking buttons? ;)

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:59 AM
  • How can I create slide-out, slide-in effects ? Can someone provide sample code ?

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:42 PM
  •  Hi walank,

How can I create slide-out, slide-in effects ? Can someone provide sample code ?

You can try to refer this link:  http://weblogs.asp.net/olakarlsson/archive/2008/08/01/silverightflyoutpanel.aspx

Hope it is your wanted.

Monday, February 16, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Thanks Amanda for your reply. However this solution have 1 big disadvantage (it needs to start outside the screen):

"To accomplish this we first select the Base state, then we make sure the correct element is selected (the LayoutRoot grid) and finally we make any necessary adjustments. Since our UI is to slide in from out of view, it needs to start outside the screen, hence we set the x value for the LayoutRoot grid to a minus of its own width (in this case -200). This will set the main section of our UI off the screen but leaves the button on screen."

My menu is in the middle of the screen so unfortunatelly this technik can not be used....I could cover the visible part but it doesn't seems to be best solution here...

I'm trying to design sliding menu which will slide from left to right and than extend down. It would be nice if that menu will slide out from button (same height) and than extend down. I wonder if i could use shape transformation to accomplish that:

1) create how it will look after sliding out

2) record storyboard how it is shrinking vertically and then horizontally

3) revert timeline

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Monday, February 16, 2009 5:05 PM
  • In case I get you right you just need 2 Storyboards in you UserControl's Resource section... one storyboard that manages the expanding from left to right... for this storyboard define the Completed event handler. If that event is being raised, call the storyboard that manages the extention to down (i.e. sb_ExtendDown.Begin(); )

Hope that helped

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

If you're not against using third-party controls, you can have a look at http://devexpress.com/Products/NET/Controls/Silverlight/Menu/

I've used it quite a lot and it's top-quality and very easy to use. You can even customize its appearance (google styles for this control).

And best of all, it's under a free license: http://community.devexpress.com/blogs/theonewith/archive/2008/10/30/silverlight-menu.aspx

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Thanks!

Devexpress menu works perfect !

Monday, April 13, 2009 12:06 PM