SharePoint CU upgrade failing RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing SP2013 CU upgrade. The binary installation remains at extracting files and keeps eating up the C drive space and later when the C drive becomes 0, it fails with error "the installation of the package failed". Is there a way, to temporarily save all those files it is writing during the CU binary installation to some other drive where there is more free disk space

Shashank

Friday, June 5, 2020 11:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't think so, If the C:\Drive has not enough space then i would say increase the drive space and then try installing it again. If possible try deleting old SharePoint ULS for C:\Drive and then try installing it again. By default logs location is under below delete few logs from older dates.

C:\program file\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, June 5, 2020 12:16 PM
  • There are no logs on this drive so I don't have anything to clear. But I think there is some way to redirect the environment variable temporarily to other drive for the cu binary installation... Though I am not exactly sure of the steps

Shashank

Friday, June 5, 2020 12:44 PM
  • It is not recommended to deploy SharePoint updates of any sort via MU/WU/WSUS/SCOM/3rd party. The reason for this is all SharePoint updates require you to run the Configuration Wizard manually post-install. In addition, with SharePoint 2013, the binary patching phase of the install can take hours without manual intervention. See Why SharePoint 2013 Cumulative Update takes 5 hours to install?. While the article speaks to CUs, this can apply to any update for SharePoint 2013.

CUs are also not available via MU/WU, but it will be required that you stay somewhat close to a current CU level to maintain support.

Consider deploying a current CU to level-set your farm after validating you have Service Pack 1 installed.

Here are the instructions for properly updating a farm, if you're not aware of them.
    Friday, June 5, 2020 2:10 PM
  • Going to copy the link that Max took from above as it is lacking the links I posted.

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/a/241862/6024

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, June 5, 2020 4:38 PM
  • Hello Shashank,

The CU file .exe is Microsoft Self-Extractor package. A Microsoft Self-Extractor package is a self-extracting executable (.exe) file. 

You could extract the .exe file from command line.

/extract:[path]  Extracts the content of the package to the path folder. If a path is not specified, then a Browse dialog box appears.

Plesase read here for more:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/912203/description-of-the-command-line-switches-that-are-supported-by-a-softw

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 8, 2020 7:54 AM
  • Hello, Shashank,

Is there anything update?

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps you.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:05 AM
  • I was getting error as package detection failed. So I bypassed it but that resulted in error as installation of package failed. I checked the oputil logs and that was very huge but what I could understand was it was looking for different packages but was not finding them. So I decided to extract and run it as a batch file. I followed exactly this same article.

http://georgetowndctechie.blogspot.com/2014/08/sharepoint-2013-sp-or-cu-error-install.html

Shashank

Thursday, June 18, 2020 7:28 AM