none
pdf splitter code

Question

• I am know .net very basic, like very simple with vb.net. I have a folders and lots of SSRS reports are getting save here on daily basis. Lot of reports are in pdf with different criterias . I am looking for .net script which can split these reports based on the criteria. Like a report have a column with company - company 9, 10, 15, 20 so i want this report to split by company. Is it possible? As i mentioned, I know very little about .net !

Thank you

Kashyap

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi IronRazers - how do i use this library ? add in as reference ? or do i need to buy it ?

Once i do #include iTextSharp, than what ? or just modify codes in it (sorry haven't seen codes yet) ?

Thank you,

K

I have not used the PdfManipulation2 library from that link but,  normally you would add a reference to the dll library in your project.  I don`t know if you will need to download the iTextSharp library and add a reference for that too or not.  I have only used the iTextSharp library for creating pdf files,  never splitting them.

I know there are several dll libraries you can purchase to do this too.  They would have help available i'm sure but,  the one i linked to is a free one i saw with a quick google search.  It is a bit old and who knows if you can get any help using it by posting a question on that page or not.

The task you are trying to do is not an easy one for someone that only knows the basics so,  you may be better off purchasing a currently available library that you can get help using.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Marked as answer by gurudevam Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:12 PM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 9:06 PM
  • How can I install iTextsharp ?

Thank you, K

You don`t install it,  it is a dll library that you would add a reference to.

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi

Do the pdf file names carry any information regarding the criteria you want to deal with?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

I'd like to confirm:
    (a) a lot of reports in one PDF file?
    (b) or a lot of reports in each/different PDF file (one report : one PDF)?
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Hi

Do the pdf file names carry any information regarding the criteria you want to deal with?

yes actual file name and company number becomes the new file name which are supposed to be split.
    Friday, May 19, 2017 8:09 PM
  •  (b) or a lot of reports in each/different PDF file (one report : one PDF

so each pdf needs to get split by keyword/parameter and each one have different keyword/parameter.

Friday, May 19, 2017 8:11 PM
  • Hi

yes actual file name and company number becomes the new file name which are supposed to be split.

Hi

If I understand correctly. If the existing file names carry the company number then it would be quite simple to put these files into a specific folder based on company number.  However, this is only the case if you are wanting to move entire files based on these criteria and NOT for anything based on the contents of each file.

If these assumptions are correct, then show an example of the file name(s) you want to deal with, and what you want to do with each file.

For example,  file names like this:  

CompanyABC_11.xxx,

CompanyCDE_33.xx

Move all files starting CompanyABC to folder same name (create new folder if doesn't already exist).

Is that anything like your requirement?

If niot,then explain further (and don't forget to show sample file names.)

Friday, May 19, 2017 8:57 PM
  • Hi...

The filename is - APR009.pdf - this file will get split into 5 diff. companies so once it split than file name will be ARP009_00093.pdf.  so the vb.net should split the pdf into 5 diff files and name them as i showed.

Thank  you,

K

Monday, May 22, 2017 7:27 PM
  •  There are no methods built into the .Net languages to work with pdf files.  However,  you can find 3rd party dll libraries that can be used to split them.  Please take a look at the link below which is a class library that someone wrote that uses the popular iTextSharp libraries to do this.  iTextSharp is a popular library for working with pdf files.

Pdf Manipulation Class Using iTextSharp

Monday, May 22, 2017 8:05 PM
  • Hi IronRazers - how do i use this library ? add in as reference ? or do i need to buy it ?

Once i do #include iTextSharp, than what ? or just modify codes in it (sorry haven't seen codes yet) ?

Thank you,

K

Monday, May 22, 2017 8:10 PM

Thank you,

K

I have not used the PdfManipulation2 library from that link but,  normally you would add a reference to the dll library in your project.  I don`t know if you will need to download the iTextSharp library and add a reference for that too or not.  I have only used the iTextSharp library for creating pdf files,  never splitting them.

I know there are several dll libraries you can purchase to do this too.  They would have help available i'm sure but,  the one i linked to is a free one i saw with a quick google search.  It is a bit old and who knows if you can get any help using it by posting a question on that page or not.

The task you are trying to do is not an easy one for someone that only knows the basics so,  you may be better off purchasing a currently available library that you can get help using.

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:06 PM
  • Hi - how can I install iTextsharp ?

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:15 AM

Thank you, K

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:16 AM

Thank you, K

You don`t install it,  it is a dll library that you would add a reference to.

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:08 PM