none
Database types in Visual Studio

Question

• Hello all,

I have just started to use Visual Basics and I have an application in my mind which I would like to create.

However I am not quite sure what kind of database I should use for this project.

Could someone please help me decide what would be the best option?

More about the project:

This application would be used by max 10 people at the same time, so I would need database which is reachable for everyone.
    All 10 people are located in the same area and we all have shared Hard Drive access.

Basically I need that If I do something in my application, then others immediately sees the change in their computer.

Should I use database which I just locate in our Hard Drive, or should I place it on some kind of server etc?

Please If someone could enlighten me what would be the best way to achieve this.

Appreciate!

Have a great day.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:07 PM

Answers

• You can use SQL Server Local Db for your need. Since the of users is 10, You can install SQL Server Local Db in a Common Local System. If you are going to develop an Web Application, then have Database & IIS in one system or Window Application have Database in one system.

You can download SQL Server Local Db from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

It all Happenz Sendil

Friday, April 1, 2016 4:56 AM
  • Hi Zoliidais,

>>Could someone please help me decide what would be the best option?

The database type you need is based on your project requirement. The connection count for your project is not tha main problem. The records for your project are more important.

For example, if there has millions or more records need to be operated in your project, I think the SQL Server and Orcle more applicable. But if there just a little records and the count won't increase to much, the Access and MySql is a good choice, even a .txt file, xml file also can used to as a simple database.

For Microsoft products, I will recommand you use SQL Server and Access as a database based on your requirement. Any other type of database, I suggest you consult informations on their support forum.

>>Should I use database which I just locate in our Hard Drive, or should I place it on some kind of server etc?

In my experience, I think the best way is place the database on a server, which is more safe and you can set some permissions for specific users to protect the data. And you also need to backup your database regularly.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:16 AM

All replies

• You can use SQL Server Local Db for your need. Since the of users is 10, You can install SQL Server Local Db in a Common Local System. If you are going to develop an Web Application, then have Database & IIS in one system or Window Application have Database in one system.

You can download SQL Server Local Db from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

It all Happenz Sendil

Friday, April 1, 2016 4:56 AM
  • hello admin,

Thanks for sharing this information. It is very helpful for us.

Regards

Gaurav

Digitral Marketing Executive

http://www.techstack.in

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Hi Zoliidais,

>>Could someone please help me decide what would be the best option?

The database type you need is based on your project requirement. The connection count for your project is not tha main problem. The records for your project are more important.

For example, if there has millions or more records need to be operated in your project, I think the SQL Server and Orcle more applicable. But if there just a little records and the count won't increase to much, the Access and MySql is a good choice, even a .txt file, xml file also can used to as a simple database.

For Microsoft products, I will recommand you use SQL Server and Access as a database based on your requirement. Any other type of database, I suggest you consult informations on their support forum.

>>Should I use database which I just locate in our Hard Drive, or should I place it on some kind of server etc?

In my experience, I think the best way is place the database on a server, which is more safe and you can set some permissions for specific users to protect the data. And you also need to backup your database regularly.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:16 AM