none
Anyone successful with batching? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone had any success batching outbound EDI messages?

There appears to be some hole in the documentation somewhere failing to describe the magic button that makes batching work. Basically, my messages are not batched even though I have configured the Party to batch.

Any success stories out there?

Thanks,

Chris

Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:55 PM

Answers

• To batch the inbound Xml in 3 steps, as you desire, your workflow orchestration has to promote specific properties on the Xml message.

These properties are listed in the following section of BizTalk Server 2006 R2 help: Planning and Architecture -> EDI Solution Architecture -> How BizTalk Server Sends EDI Messages -> Batching Outgoing EDI Messages -> Assembling a Batched EDI Interchange -> Message Flow for Outgoing Batched Messages - Item 2 (could you pls. ensure you have the latest help docs - I couldn't locate some of the issues you have mentioned when you tried to follow the Batching Walkthrough documentation). I have pasted the relevant section from the help doc below for your reference:

"If the filter settings of only one party subscribes to a message, the BatchMarker component will promote the properties EDI.ToBeBatched = True, EDI.DestinationPartyID = %PartyID%, and EDI.EncodingType = 0 or 1 (0 for X12 or 1 for EDIFACT). This ensures that the batching orchestration will pick up the message."

Here %PartyID% should be the numeric BizTalk Party ID (visible on the "General" property page of EDI Properties of a party).

Your workflow orchestration would need to promote the above 3 properties. The filter values set on the batch property page and used for subscribing to messages by the BatchMarker component wouldn't be required (note: you would need to enter dummy values on the batch filter property page to get around validation). The batch would then be released based on the batch release criterion you have specified on the appropriate parties batch property page.

Hope this would help.

Thanks,

Arnab.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Did you start getting this error after you deployed the schema in the EDI Application?

This error is thrown when either a schema cannot be located or multiple instances of the same schema has been deployed - pls. ensure that you have the pertinent schema deployed only once and try restartin the suspended batching orchestration.

If the orchestration again gets suspended - try to see if you can successfuly serialize a EDI msg using the same party you are using for batching.

I'd have a clearer idea on what might be missing from your configuration based on your findings. 

Thanks,

Arnab.

I am receiving below XLANG error inside batching orchestration for EDIFACT transaction

Uncaught exception (see the 'inner exception' below) has suspended an instance of service 'Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchingOrchestration.BatchingService(2a16c595-614b-9563-c13f-ebd20e4a6154)'.

The service instance will remain suspended until administratively resumed or terminated.

If resumed the instance will continue from its last persisted state and may re-throw the same unexpected exception.

InstanceId: 4a87b23a-421f-4f7c-b2a4-bcf8f867e378

Shape name: DecideIfValidInstance

ShapeId: 41404d24-4eb2-4653-9350-c2c2828c235c

Exception thrown from: segment 26, progress 25

Inner exception: Could not find a matching schema deployed for doctype name:http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/EDI/EDIFACT/2006#EFACT_D96A_ORDERS

Exception type: ArgumentException

Source: Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.MessageCore

Target Site: Microsoft.BizTalk.Component.Interop.DocumentSpec GetDocumentSpec(System.String)

The following is a stack trace that identifies the location where the exception occured

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.MessageCore.BtsSchema.GetDocumentSpec(String docType)

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.MessageCore.BtsSchema.get_SchemaCollection()

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.MessageCore.EdiSchemaToolSet.ValidateInstance(SchemaInstanceInfo vInstanceInfo, Boolean isRuntime, Boolean bIsCharCountBased)

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchHelper.BatchValidator.ValidateBatch(XLANGMessage xMsg, BatchConfiguration bc, BatchElementSorter sorter)

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchingOrchestration.BatchingService.segment26(StopConditions stopOn)

at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.SegmentScheduler.RunASegment(Segment s, StopConditions stopCond, Exception& exp)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

But EFACT_D96A_ORDERS schema is already deployed in my application and its working fine with the EDI receive pipeline. Also i tried deploying schema to EDI Application.. but no luck.. Any inputs??

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:51 AM
  • To promote those properties from your workflow orchestration you have to define a correlation set with those properties in your orchestration. This would result in those properties getting promoted (and hence can be used in routing) rather than just being written to the context property bag of the message. You can use the following references to get a better insight into property promotion from within an orchestration:

http://blogs.msdn.com/dhtoran/archive/2005/07/07/436395.aspx

http://www.digitaldeposit.net/blog/2007/01/property-promotion-inside-orchestration.html

Hope it helps,

Arnab.

cholliday wrote:

I checked out your suggestion of creating a send port with the properties you described. I think the problem is, that these properties are not "Promoted" until the EdiSend pipeline runs. So my scenario is:

1. Receive XML

2. Orchestration maps to EDI schema

3. Orchestration assigns values to the 3 properties: EDI.DestinationPartyId, EDI.ToBeBatched, EDI.EncodingType

4. Send port bound to "Direct" sends message to MsgBox.

When I view the context of the failed message (due to routing) I see the properties with their correct values, however they are not promoted.

If I change item '4' above to:

4. Send port sends via file adapter to a folder using EdiSend pipeline

5. Receive port receives via EdiReceive pipeline into MsgBox

6. Send port sends batched messages

The EDI properties are promoted at that point and thus the subscription results are as expected.

Is there a way to "Promote" these properties before the pipeline runs?

Thanks,

Chris

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:08 PM

All replies

• Did you try the sending outbound batched Edi message walkthrough section under "Development -> Developing and Configuring BizTalk Server EDI Solutions -> Walkthrough: Sending Batched EDI Interchange" in the BTS 2006 R2 help docs?

Thanks,

Arnab.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:18 AM
  • I have tried it. It does not work. There are several problems with the documentation including:

In the send port filters, they have the wrong schema name. In the Batching Filter (Batching Configuration for Party), the EDI.MessageType is called out. I have not been able to find this property anywhere.

Each of my varied attempts has failed with the batching orchs never being called.

Any other thoughts?

Chris

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Update...

I believe the walkthrough will work if you correct the schema names in the filters and use BTS.MessageType instead of EDI.MessageType (which does not exist). However, I have yet to find a way to go from orchestration to a batch without first dropping the translated EDI messages into a folder via a send port, then picking them up via a receive port an resending them as a batch. There are inherent problems with this process (reporting correct number of messages, more exposure for failure, etc).

The scenario I am trying to create is as follows:

Receive inbound XML

Run processing and workflow via orchestration

Send via batched EDI

The only way I have been able to do this so far is:

Receive inbound XML

Run orchestration

Send individual EDI to a folder

Receive edi from folder

Send via batched EDI

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:41 PM
  • To batch the inbound Xml in 3 steps, as you desire, your workflow orchestration has to promote specific properties on the Xml message.

These properties are listed in the following section of BizTalk Server 2006 R2 help: Planning and Architecture -> EDI Solution Architecture -> How BizTalk Server Sends EDI Messages -> Batching Outgoing EDI Messages -> Assembling a Batched EDI Interchange -> Message Flow for Outgoing Batched Messages - Item 2 (could you pls. ensure you have the latest help docs - I couldn't locate some of the issues you have mentioned when you tried to follow the Batching Walkthrough documentation). I have pasted the relevant section from the help doc below for your reference:

"If the filter settings of only one party subscribes to a message, the BatchMarker component will promote the properties EDI.ToBeBatched = True, EDI.DestinationPartyID = %PartyID%, and EDI.EncodingType = 0 or 1 (0 for X12 or 1 for EDIFACT). This ensures that the batching orchestration will pick up the message."

Here %PartyID% should be the numeric BizTalk Party ID (visible on the "General" property page of EDI Properties of a party).

Your workflow orchestration would need to promote the above 3 properties. The filter values set on the batch property page and used for subscribing to messages by the BatchMarker component wouldn't be required (note: you would need to enter dummy values on the batch filter property page to get around validation). The batch would then be released based on the batch release criterion you have specified on the appropriate parties batch property page.

Hope this would help.

Thanks,

Arnab.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  

I am receiving below XLANG error inside batching orchestration for EDIFACT transaction

Uncaught exception (see the 'inner exception' below) has suspended an instance of service 'Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchingOrchestration.BatchingService(2a16c595-614b-9563-c13f-ebd20e4a6154)'.

The service instance will remain suspended until administratively resumed or terminated.

If resumed the instance will continue from its last persisted state and may re-throw the same unexpected exception.

Inner exception: Could not find a matching schema deployed for doctype name:http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/EDI/EDIFACT/2006#EFACT_D96A_ORDERS

Target Site: Microsoft.BizTalk.Component.Interop.DocumentSpec GetDocumentSpec(System.String)

The following is a stack trace that identifies the location where the exception occured

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.MessageCore.EdiSchemaToolSet.ValidateInstance(SchemaInstanceInfo vInstanceInfo, Boolean isRuntime, Boolean bIsCharCountBased)

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchHelper.BatchValidator.ValidateBatch(XLANGMessage xMsg, BatchConfiguration bc, BatchElementSorter sorter)

at Microsoft.BizTalk.Edi.BatchingOrchestration.BatchingService.segment26(StopConditions stopOn)

at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.SegmentScheduler.RunASegment(Segment s, StopConditions stopCond, Exception& exp)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

But EFACT_D96A_ORDERS schema is already deployed in my application and its working fine with the EDI receive pipeline. Also i tried deploying schema to EDI Application.. but no luck.. Any inputs??
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for these instructions!

Can you provide a URL to the new documentation? The section you are describing above does not exist in my documents.

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:05 PM
  • When you say "promote properties on the Xml message" are you saying I simply need to add a reference to the EDI.BaseArtifacts assembly and then assign values to the named properties above?

Or are you saying I need to add the properties from the EDI.Properties schema to one of my existing schemas.

Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on this idea?

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Did you start getting this error after you deployed the schema in the EDI Application?

This error is thrown when either a schema cannot be located or multiple instances of the same schema has been deployed - pls. ensure that you have the pertinent schema deployed only once and try restartin the suspended batching orchestration.

If the orchestration again gets suspended - try to see if you can successfuly serialize a EDI msg using the same party you are using for batching.

I'd have a clearer idea on what might be missing from your configuration based on your findings. 

Thanks,

Arnab.

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:51 AM
  • They should be available from the connect site from where you would have downloaded the BizTalk 2006 R2 bits - I have pasted the url for your ref:

https://connect.microsoft.com/programdetails.aspx?ProgramDetailsID=1320

Thanks,

Arnab.

Thanks for these instructions!

Can you provide a URL to the new documentation? The section you are describing above does not exist in my documents.

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:05 AM
  • I referred to assigning values to those named EDI properties in your workflow orchestration.

Thanks,

Arnab.

cholliday wrote:

When you say "promote properties on the Xml message" are you saying I simply need to add a reference to the EDI.BaseArtifacts assembly and then assign values to the named properties above?

Or are you saying I need to add the properties from the EDI.Properties schema to one of my existing schemas.

Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on this idea?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:15 AM
  • Arnab, I can't see any documentation (or downloadable artifacts) at the link you posted. Perhaps I dont have the correct access roles or something.

I persist in this pursuit because the instructions you provided dont seem to work. I get the common error that no subscribers were found for the message when I assign the values against the messages in orchestration. Is there any additional info you can provide on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Chris, are you using the RC bits and associated documentation of BizTalk Server 2006 R2 from the connect site (the url i had referenced in my earlier mail)? I was told the connect site would have the appropriate drop of the documentation - let me verify that.

On your "no subscriptions error" - did you start batching (through the receiver batch property page) for the appropriate encoding (EDIFACT or X12) for the pertinent party (the partyID you are promoting in your workflow orchestration)?

To verify that you are promoting the appropriate property, you can create a send port and subcribe to a msg with the EDI.ToBeBatched = true and EDI.DestinationPartyID = <PartyId (an integer)> and EDI.EncodingType = 0 or 1 (depending on X12 or EDIFACT respectively). If the send port can pick up the msg created by your workflow orchestration I would check if the appropriate batching orchestration instance is active through the presence of the GUID on the pertinent receiver batch property page.

Your response would help me narrow this down.

Thanks,

Arnab.

cholliday wrote:

Arnab, I can't see any documentation (or downloadable artifacts) at the link you posted. Perhaps I dont have the correct access roles or something.

I persist in this pursuit because the instructions you provided dont seem to work. I get the common error that no subscribers were found for the message when I assign the values against the messages in orchestration. Is there any additional info you can provide on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:41 PM
  • I am using 3.6.1230. The only download I can see is the Biztalk 2006 R2 Beta 2. Is this correct?

Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Yep, I have confirmed Beta 2 is the latest build available through the connect site.

cholliday wrote:
    I am using 3.6.1230. The only download I can see is the Biztalk 2006 R2 Beta 2. Is this correct?

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:00 AM
  • I checked out your suggestion of creating a send port with the properties you described. I think the problem is, that these properties are not "Promoted" until the EdiSend pipeline runs. So my scenario is:

1. Receive XML

3. Orchestration assigns values to the 3 properties: EDI.DestinationPartyId, EDI.ToBeBatched, EDI.EncodingType

When I view the context of the failed message (due to routing) I see the properties with their correct values, however they are not promoted.

The EDI properties are promoted at that point and thus the subscription results are as expected.

Thanks,

Chris

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:02 PM
  • To promote those properties from your workflow orchestration you have to define a correlation set with those properties in your orchestration. This would result in those properties getting promoted (and hence can be used in routing) rather than just being written to the context property bag of the message. You can use the following references to get a better insight into property promotion from within an orchestration:

http://blogs.msdn.com/dhtoran/archive/2005/07/07/436395.aspx

http://www.digitaldeposit.net/blog/2007/01/property-promotion-inside-orchestration.html

Hope it helps,

Arnab.

cholliday wrote:

I checked out your suggestion of creating a send port with the properties you described. I think the problem is, that these properties are not "Promoted" until the EdiSend pipeline runs. So my scenario is:

1. Receive XML

Thanks,

Chris

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Arnab, I think we are getting closer. I setup the correlation type per the instructions in the above tricks you posted.

I am now getting this error message as the Batch messages fail:

The batch element is being suspended as it failed validation. The error is : Stopping after the first error !!

Error: 1 (Miscellaneous error)

7: Missing or invalid transaction set control number

Error: 2 (Miscellaneous error)

3: Transaction Set Control Number Mismatch

Please use the EDI Design Time tools to get a complete list of errors.

This is failing on the BizTalk EDI application.

Thanks,

Chris

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Get the ouput from your workflow orchestration and use Visual Studio to validate this message. 

Pls. refer to "Using the Xml Tool Extensions" topic under the "Planning and Architecture -> EDI Solution Architecture" section of the help document to get an idea of how to do this.

You would have to remove the causes of these validation errors.

Hope that helps,

Arnab.

cholliday wrote:

Arnab, I think we are getting closer. I setup the correlation type per the instructions in the above tricks you posted.

The batch element is being suspended as it failed validation. The error is : Stopping after the first error !!

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:32 PM
  • This error is being generated when the message is still XML. If I look at these messages, they all begin with just the BX segment so no ST segment is yet created which means there is no Transaction Set Control Number element. If I run these xml messages through instance validation, I get exactly the same error message that I posted in my inquiry and you quoted above. As the ST segment is not present in the document schema, I have no way to "fix" this problem in my map or otherwise.

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:45 PM
  •  

Thanks Arnab.. D96A schema was deployed in a diferent application also which as referning to EDI aplication.. it's working fine now..
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:14 AM
  • Bump.

Anything? Anyone?

Has anyone had success with this?

Friday, August 3, 2007 2:48 PM
  • At this point we have decided to avoid persuing this particular approach and have reverted to using a 3-part batch up:

Send translated EDI document to a local folder

Pickup the translated message with the EdiReceive pipeline to get the correct context into the MsgBox

Send batched group

If anyone figures out another way, I would love to hear about it.

C.

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I have run accross the same problem.  Initally, I was not using batching and I was able to generated X12 834 file.  The transaction set control numbers were being set by BizTalk as configured in the "GS and ST Segment Defination" section of the X12 Properties for the party. 

When I set up batching for the party, the batching failed with the same exact errors below.  Validating the XML is pointless because the ST elements are not part of the XML. What can be done to make the batching work as it should without having to use multiple passes throught the EDI pipeline?

Thank you.

Arnab Ghosh - MSFT wrote:

Get the ouput from your workflow orchestration and use Visual Studio to validate this message. 

Pls. refer to "Using the Xml Tool Extensions" topic under the "Planning and Architecture -> EDI Solution Architecture" section of the help document to get an idea of how to do this.

You would have to remove the causes of these validation errors.

Hope that helps,

Arnab.

cholliday wrote:

Arnab, I think we are getting closer. I setup the correlation type per the instructions in the above tricks you posted.

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, October 4, 2007 6:03 PM
  • A followup from my last post.  I was able to successfully get my EDI to batch properly.  To make it work, I had to populate my ST01, ST02, SE01 and SE02 with dummy data.  For whatever reason, as long as you do not batch, the EDI will be created correctly even if the ST and SE elements are not populated and the EDI pipeline will plug in the correct values. 

However, once you move to batching, all of a sudden, the EDI engine now requires these values to be populated before the batch will process corrrectly.  The EDI that is generated will have the the correct values placed in the ST and SE segmets (counts and the expected transaction set IDs as seen in the X12 configuration for the party). 

Can some explain why the EDI engine is perfectly happy with my xml document with empty ST and SE elemets in non-batch mode, but all of a suddenn, the same xml is invalid in batched mode.

Thank you.
    Friday, October 5, 2007 9:13 PM