Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2005 Best Practice Analyzer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

are there any known problems about scanning a german team foundation server 2005 installation with microsoft team foundation server 2005 best practice analyzer?

I got the following critical issue (and some similar to that):

The directory on ATDT tfs referenced by '\\tfs\c:\inetpub\wwwroot' does not have correct permissions assigned to the Users group. At a minimum, the Users group needs 'ReadAndExecute' permissions.

But when I check the permissions of the users group they are correct.

Can anyone help me?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:34 AM

Answers

• Hello Juergen,

Thanks for trying out the July 2008 release of Power Tools and for getting back to me on this matter. Unfortunately, the "false positive" that you are getting is a known issue and it is caused by the fact that we could not find a robust way of computing the localized version of the "Documents and Settings" folder before the release.

We have already entered a bug for this and we are working on resolving this particular issue for the next release of Power Tools.

Since you have checked the permissions on that particular folder and they look fine, I would like to ask you to ignore this error. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ladislau Szomoru [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

• Dear Mr. Opel,

Sorry for not getting back you on this matter until now. The “false positive” reported by the TFS BPA is caused by the fact that the “Users” group has a localized name on the German OS. The TFS BPA team has done some investments in order to make the tool more accurate on localized versions of Team Foundation Server.

Can you please download the July 2008 Power Tools, run the TFS BPA, and let me know the outcome. Please make sure that you are running the TFS BPA on the TFS AT using the TFSSETUP account.

You can download the July 2008 Power Tools from here.

Ladislau Szomoru [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:51 AM
  • Hi Ladislau,

thank you very much. I followed your instructions and have done the same scan with the best practice analyzer 2008. All critical issues except one are gone. The one that still remains is:

The directory on ATDT tfs referenced by '\\tfs\C$\Documents and Settings\all users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys' has non-default permissions. They should be Everyone - Write, Read, Synchronize; and Administrators - FullControl.

Have a guess - when I check the permissions of Administrators and Everyone group they are correct.

Can you help me?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Hello Juergen,

Thanks for trying out the July 2008 release of Power Tools and for getting back to me on this matter. Unfortunately, the "false positive" that you are getting is a known issue and it is caused by the fact that we could not find a robust way of computing the localized version of the "Documents and Settings" folder before the release.

We have already entered a bug for this and we are working on resolving this particular issue for the next release of Power Tools.

Since you have checked the permissions on that particular folder and they look fine, I would like to ask you to ignore this error. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ladislau Szomoru [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Hello Ladislau,

thank you very much. I will ignore this error.

Juergen

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:57 PM