HD DVD player won't play movie RRS feed

• Question

• Recently purchased the comedy flick "Knocked Up" on HD-DVD.  Inserted disc into the HD player and "Downloading...." message showed up on my screen then the player locked up.  Had to re-boot XBOX to get out of freeze then tried to play movie again but each time I start the disc it throws me back to XBOX360 Menu....All other HD-DVD's are working fine (Miami Vice, You Me and Dupree...)  Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 12:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, there is a fix for this issue in the works but in the meantime the work-around is ugly: go to the System blade and select Memory, then "HD DVD Player". Go to the last item called "Unknown Title", select it and Delete. Try the disc without a network connection, if it plays you are good. If the problem persists, go back to Memory/HD DVD Player and instead press Y for Device Options, then Delete All Content.

What is happening is that you have half-downloaded content stored in the memory of the drive, and the player dies trying to run it. This work-around tries to delete the most-recently saved content, which is hopefully Knocked Up. If it fails then deleting everything for all titles is the remaining option. Running the title without a network content will prevent any further downloads.

Once we get the next update out you won't need to go through this pain, for which we apologize. Also if the content was marked with the name of the movie then you wouldn't need to guess which content needs to be deleted. Moving forward we are working with the studios to address all these issues, via places such as this forum and Amy's and Peter's blogs.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:24 PM

All replies

• Yes, there is a fix for this issue in the works but in the meantime the work-around is ugly: go to the System blade and select Memory, then "HD DVD Player". Go to the last item called "Unknown Title", select it and Delete. Try the disc without a network connection, if it plays you are good. If the problem persists, go back to Memory/HD DVD Player and instead press Y for Device Options, then Delete All Content.

What is happening is that you have half-downloaded content stored in the memory of the drive, and the player dies trying to run it. This work-around tries to delete the most-recently saved content, which is hopefully Knocked Up. If it fails then deleting everything for all titles is the remaining option. Running the title without a network content will prevent any further downloads.

Once we get the next update out you won't need to go through this pain, for which we apologize. Also if the content was marked with the name of the movie then you wouldn't need to guess which content needs to be deleted. Moving forward we are working with the studios to address all these issues, via places such as this forum and Amy's and Peter's blogs.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Thank you for your help.  It sure worked like a charm.  I disabled the Network Access once DVD player tried to download cookie.  This way I was able to skip the whole "Loading" procedure that locked up the player several times.  Thanks again.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:14 AM