Simultanious Beta Testing and Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to simulatneously submit an app for certification AND have a beta copy released for testing in the meantime? 

As I understand it, a Beta is simply published and not tested so will happen in a matter of days.  It would be nice to be able to request that a beta version be released immediately while testing is underway.  That way you get feedback from your testers and Microsoft to determine if you are ready to publish. 

Alternatively, can I simply submit the same XAP twice with a different title or version?

Ed

• Edited by Fast_EddieD Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

As you correctly pointed out, a beta app does not go through certification testing. You cannot "promote" a beta app into a public app so when you create a beta app, it will never go through certification. In order to make that app public, you will have to create a new app submission and select "public".

Yes, you can simply submit the same XAP twice, one beta and one public. You can even select to "Manually publish" the public app so that you can choose when to go public if you are satisfied with your beta results (or update the XAP before going public if your beta finds a ship-stopper bug).

Thanks,

Jin

• Proposed as answer by Jin Zhang Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fast_EddieD Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

As you correctly pointed out, a beta app does not go through certification testing. You cannot "promote" a beta app into a public app so when you create a beta app, it will never go through certification. In order to make that app public, you will have to create a new app submission and select "public".

Yes, you can simply submit the same XAP twice, one beta and one public. You can even select to "Manually publish" the public app so that you can choose when to go public if you are satisfied with your beta results (or update the XAP before going public if your beta finds a ship-stopper bug).

Thanks,

Jin

• Proposed as answer by Jin Zhang Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fast_EddieD Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Thanks for the great explanation.  Next time around, I will submit the same app twice as you have described.

Just a followup question / comment ...

Suppose app is certified (Manually publish).  Prior to publishing but after passing certification, can I somehow send my beta testers a means of installing on their phone from some sort of hidden deep link that I provide them?  Basically, I'd like to give my testers one last chance to review before releasing.

Ed

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:50 PM
  • No. The public app will not be available unless you publish it. In any case, assuming you uploaded the same XAP for the public and beta, why would this matter? If you made changes to the XAP and you want your testers to review it, then you should update your beta (and your public, unpublished app).
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Mute point but to explain...

If my beta testers could download from a "hidden" link prior to publication to the marketplace, I would wait for certification and then ask them to test with one submission.  Seems simpler and I wouldn't have to resubmit for final approval.

I understand that submitting two copies would allow me to beta test WHILE and after being certified.  Quite frankly, after a few go arounds, I don't want to waste their time if it doesn't pass. I guess I can just wait for certification before I ask them to test the beta.

I would think Microsoft does not want us all submitting extra publications. 

I'm OK with this, just wanted to know how it works.

Thanks.

Ed

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:21 PM