Is microsoft kidding with this thing? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1303368272 posted
    I want to use the cache framework (maybe) in an app. I have no idea how. The quickstart sample combines several application blocks (aggregation, asynchronous, etc.) and is incredibly convoluted and poorly documented. I feel like I need an entire 50 page manual just to understand a 'quickstart' sample. Why did they do this? Does anyone know of a site or sample app that is extremely simple and easy to understand that will enlighten me on how to use the caching block? Until then, I'll comb through the documentation I guess.
    Thursday, August 21, 2003 1:24 PM

All replies

• User-2129582625 posted
    Here it the one, I made it simple. You can start with this article. http://www.w3coder.com/vbnet/introcache.aspx Not soo intresting one, But many people liked it. [Also My 60% knowledge from SDK, that would help you also]
    Thursday, August 21, 2003 6:45 PM
  • User-1303368272 posted
    Thanks. I did manage to get it working by just messing with the app.config and adding a reference, but this does not really qualify as 'understanding it'. I'll take a look at your sample.
    Friday, August 22, 2003 9:49 AM
  • User-429343406 posted
    I have a look at this Application Block too, I don't think they could make it any more complicated it they tried :)
    Friday, August 22, 2003 10:54 AM
  • User-1753772650 posted
    Umm, the article you refer from w3coder.com does not appear to describe the use of the CAB, but rather the ASP.NET Cache (HttpRuntime.Cache)? Ain't the same thang. I'm trying to use the CAB outside of this context (the HttpRuntime.Cache is *seriously* slow outside of ASP.NET... anyone know why? A Shared HashTable with Sychronized read/write is equally slow...), and am struggling with the config. Anyone got a simple cut-down sample working, especially with Singleton storage? Anyone measured the performance of this thing yet?
    Friday, November 7, 2003 10:06 PM
  • User-1753772650 posted
    Hi Stephen, would you mind sharing with us the app.config files you used to get the CAB working? I'm still stuck on CacheService config...
    Friday, November 7, 2003 10:08 PM
  • User-1303368272 posted
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. <configSections> <section name="CacheManagerSettings" type="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache.CacheConfigurationHandler,Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache" /> </configSections> <CacheManagerSettings> <!-- DATA PROTECTION SETTINGS Use DataProtectionInfo to set the assembly and class which implement the dataprotection interfaces for the cache. --> <DataProtectionInfo AssemblyName="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache" ClassName="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache.DataProtection.DefaultDataProtection" ValidationKey="Oci44OQ9C3xAdQ3/BMHpksPfzeTezLkXen/ahQ8T7nVk/KMgAFnssQJr00KUNhRso+MpLVwAinGep6i14X9M+A==" Validation="SHA1"/> <!-- STORAGE SETTINGS Use StorageInfo to set the assembly and class which implement the storage interfaces for the cache. Modes: InProc, OutProc --> <StorageInfo AssemblyName="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache" ClassName="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache.Storages.SingletonCacheStorage" Mode="InProc" Validated="true" Encrypted="true" RemotingUrl="tcp://localhost:8282/CacheService" /> <!-- SCAVENGING SETTINGS Use the ScavengingAlgorithm to set a class that will be executed when scavenging is performed. --> <ScavengingInfo AssemblyName="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache" ClassName="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Cache.Scavenging.LruScavenging" MemoryPollingPeriod="60" UtilizationForScavenging="80" MaximumSize="5"/> <!-- EXPIRATION SETTINGS Use the ExpirationCheckInterval to change the interval to check for cache items expiration. The value attribute is represented in seconds. --> <ExpirationInfo Interval="1" /> </CacheManagerSettings>
    Monday, November 17, 2003 2:55 PM