none
App lost it's identity and now has 2 copies in the store

Question

• I'm not sure where to post this, but a game I have in the store with about 1.5 million downloads and 3600+ ratings suddenly had no reserved store name. I could not submit another update until I re-reserved the name (as if it were a new app). I was finally able to submit the update, which added an x86 Windows 10 build to this app which used to have only ARM.

Now when I view the app in either the phone store or the pc store it shows 2 ratings, as if it were a new app. The website-based store still shows 3600+ ratings. I downloaded the app from the store and it did not replace the old app, so it's acting as a completely separate app. I get the feeling that when the app name was removed it somehow lost it's original identity.

Obviously this is a major problem; it's as if the app suddenly was removed from the store and then created again as a new app with a new identity.

I submitted a support ticket but no response yet. Who can help with this?

Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Nate,

Do you know the reason for your app name being removed? If someone else has trademarked the name, they can report an infringement and you won't be able to keep using that name. If that happens after your app has been published, it will be removed from the Store. You'll then need to change the name of your app.

Before you package your new submission, you should associate it with your original app name(if the old is not available, you could reserve a new name for it but not reserve a new separate app name) to sync the identity info. That way your app can replace the old version.

>Now when I view the app in either the phone store or the pc store it shows 2 ratings, as if it were a new app. The website-based store still shows 3600+ ratings.

It's normal. The "Store app" shows the number of ratings of the current version while the website-based Store shows the rating number of lifetime. There indeed exist some developers forwarding this issue. The suggestion is to make your feedback through our user voice site or  Feedback Hub. If you can find existed thread, you can vote it and Microsoft will check them regularly and might take it into consideration.

>I submitted a support ticket but no response yet.

Please wait for the response. Your patience would be much appreciated.

Also, please provide your SR ticket number so that I can help you check its status and have the follow up with you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 5:23 AM
  • Let's forget about the ratings issue for a moment. To be more specific, I updated an old WP7 (Win Phone 7) app to UWP (Win 10). I can see now in doing so it looks like it 'replaced' the old WP7 app identity.

The biggest issue here is that if I put out an update now to upgrade that old WP7 version to WPhone8.1 or WPhone10, the 1.5 million downloads will not update automatically because it thinks it's a different app. All those users would have to download the game manually as if it were the first time, which is like losing the entire user base for future updates.

Monday, December 19, 2016 3:50 PM
  • Hi Nate,

Could you tell how you can make it a different app? Do you reserve a separate new app name in Dashboard?

You may provide any screenshot of your app package page in Dashboard. Do you receive response from Dev Center support? If not, please provide the service request number so that I can check your case status and have the agent follow up with you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:31 AM