none
Outlook 2010 Reminders on Top RRS feed

• Question

• Using Outlook 2010

Is there a VBA script that will make a window pop up in front of whatever I'm working on when a calendar reminder pops up?  I keep missing my appointments because the reminders simply show on my Taskbar and are apparently too "polite" to interrupt me.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your answer is way over my head, but sounds like it's not possible to do what I want.

The following VBA code is a very rude way to bring your attention to an Outlook 2010 reminder.  It's definitely not "polite" since it minimizes all the windows of the desktop so that the reminder is prominently displayed.  It's a real brute force approach, but it should get your attention.

Public WithEvents objOLApp As Outlook.Application

Sub Initialize_handler()

Set objOLApp = Outlook.Application

End Sub

Private Sub objOLApp_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)

Dim oshell

'Create Windows Shell object

Set oshell = CreateObject("shell.application")

'Minimize windows

oshell.MinimizeAll

Set oshell = Nothing

End Sub

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Hello,

You can create a user form in VBA which you can display using the ShowModal method which sets a UserForm to be modal or modeless in its display. When a UserForm is modal, the user must supply information or close the UserForm before using any other part of the application. No subsequent code is executed until the UserForm is hidden or unloaded. Although other forms in the application are disabled when a UserForm is displayed, other applications are not.

In theory, you need to specify the parent window handle for the custom form. In that case the form will be shown on top of the window where you are working on. But VBA doesn't provide any method for the UserForm class. You need to develop an add-in for that or use Windows API functions.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can create a user form in VBA which you can display using the ShowModal method which sets a UserForm to be modal or modeless in its display. When a UserForm is modal, the user must supply information or close the UserForm before using any other part of the application. No subsequent code is executed until the UserForm is hidden or unloaded. Although other forms in the application are disabled when a UserForm is displayed, other applications are not.

In theory, you need to specify the parent window handle for the custom form. In that case the form will be shown on top of the window where you are working on. But VBA doesn't provide any method for the UserForm class. You need to develop an add-in for that or use Windows API functions.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your answer is way over my head, but sounds like it's not possible to do what I want.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 11:04 AM

The following VBA code is a very rude way to bring your attention to an Outlook 2010 reminder.  It's definitely not "polite" since it minimizes all the windows of the desktop so that the reminder is prominently displayed.  It's a real brute force approach, but it should get your attention.

Public WithEvents objOLApp As Outlook.Application

Sub Initialize_handler()

Set objOLApp = Outlook.Application

End Sub

Private Sub objOLApp_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)

Dim oshell

'Create Windows Shell object

Set oshell = CreateObject("shell.application")

'Minimize windows

oshell.MinimizeAll

Set oshell = Nothing

End Sub

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:30 PM