none
bootable disk RRS feed

• Question

• I want to download Windows 7 and install it on my recently dead computer.  I have a new hard drive for it, but when I put the drive into the dvd player, it does not boot.  I am assuming this to be because it is not a bootable image.

I have been putting this off for weeks, but finally I started researching this today.  However, I have spent about three hours searching the web on how to make a bootable disk and have not found any success.  I considered paying 40 dollars for Nero, but that seemed like a possible bust, since I didnt know for sure if it would actually create a boot disk.  I have tried isorecorder but it doesnt seem to make a bootable disk either. 

Anyway, instead of spending more hours, I thought I would ask on here.  The problem seems to be that there is possible a thousand different freeware programs and such out there, that to the letter dont actually work unless you give them money, etc.  Finding one that just works without installing browser bars, tool bars, seems to be impossible.

Does anyone know how I can make the msdn image (iso) bootable, without wading through hundreds of worthless programs in the attempt to create a bootable disk?

I knew this was a horrible task and i had been putting it off for weeks, and so now I need it yesterday.

thanks,

Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your question Daniel, sorry I almost missed this thinking it was off topic, but I see its about MSDN Subscription images.

MSDN Subscriptions ISO images are literally the same ISO images used to create Windows DVDs for retail and so they should be bootable for you.  The Subscriptions team doesn't do anything to them, we just post what the Windows folks make.   Also, we haven't had any significant complaints about the Windows 7 images, which have now been posted for over 2 years, so we stand behind them.

I would double check your system and try booting the system up using a known bootable ISO image, certainly the older Windows ISO images that we host are similar, or there may be other operating system ISO images you can find online that are bootable.

Let me know how this works out for you!

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:58 PM
  • tTrucks,

I finally found a program that does what it says, without being spam, virus riddled, or an injection route for a toolbar on my browser.

Try http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/ and select the latest.

The program help file is sort of like a bbs entry.  The entries are laid out the same as the menus.  So, for example to burn a bootable disk, go to

Mode\read\advanced\ Bootabledisk and then you have to tell it where an example of the bootable disk files are.  (apparently MS stops these people from keeping a copy of the boot files handy.) 

I havent tried it yet, but it isnt trynig to install anything else on my computer, isnt trying to get a credit card number, isnt ... so I think it might work.

Well, it looked really promising, but all it did was install another tool bar, change my browser home page, and tried to change my browser search engine default.  IT did copy the disk, but it did not make it bootable.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Daniel,

Also, I just ran into this thread over on the Windows Developer Preview forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/661d46c3-f6b9-41a4-a696-9d8c225208b6

It discusses steps for creating a bootable USB stick as a replacement for a bootable DVD.  Might be worth checking out for you.

Cheers,
    Mike 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:00 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your question Daniel, sorry I almost missed this thinking it was off topic, but I see its about MSDN Subscription images.

MSDN Subscriptions ISO images are literally the same ISO images used to create Windows DVDs for retail and so they should be bootable for you.  The Subscriptions team doesn't do anything to them, we just post what the Windows folks make.   Also, we haven't had any significant complaints about the Windows 7 images, which have now been posted for over 2 years, so we stand behind them.

I would double check your system and try booting the system up using a known bootable ISO image, certainly the older Windows ISO images that we host are similar, or there may be other operating system ISO images you can find online that are bootable.

Let me know how this works out for you!

Thanks,
    Mike 

Monday, September 12, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Mike,

I found an old windows 2000 disk and thought I could install it, and then upgrade.  But after I installed it, the dvd drive and the network card were both unrecognized, so I wasnt able to continue.

But anyway, the computer does work with a regular bootable disk, just not with the msdn downloaded iso image (copied to the disk using isorecorder.)

I need some way of copying a boot file to the disk, but first I have to know what files.

The question I have is that since the image is not bootable, what do I need to do to make it bootable.  It sounds like a simple question, but there is SO much noise surrounding it on the web that there are a million bad answers for each good.

Thanks

Daniel

• Edited by daniel310 Monday, September 12, 2011 3:11 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Hmm well good that you checked, Daniel, and we should look into this. What's the file name of the ISO image are you trying to boot with?     I'll take a look at the image and see if I can repro.

Thanks,

Mike 

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

THe file name is en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677460 and I assume the extention is .iso

If you find any OS that boots, that is recent enough to have drivers for the network card, and dvd, I could use that.

• Edited by daniel310 Monday, September 12, 2011 4:32 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Are you still looking into this?

Thanks,

Daniel

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:27 AM
  • I am having the same problems... i am using the image from MSDN

SW_DVD5_Win_Ult_7SP1_64BIT_English_2_X17-59465.IMG

Burned the image several times to DVD... but when I try to use the disk to install I get "Not a System Disk" message.

Please help. I have already burned the image with 3 different programs and on 2 different OSs - XP 32bit and Server 2008 R2 64bit to no avail.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi tTrucks,

Back in the day, there were a lot of free programs to do this.  Now there are a lot of virus ridden BS programs that say they do this, but so far, none do.  I have spent literally hours getting rid of toolbars and such that these worthless programs have installed.

It appears the only solution I can find is to buy an off the shelf dvd writer program, and use it to make the dvd image.  The first one I tested did not do bootable, but there are a couple more on the horizon.  these programs are all priced between fifty and one hundred dollars, and seem to be the only option.  However, the even though the assumption is that one of them will work, I dont yet know.

Ten years ago when people used to interact with computers in a different way, bootable disks were the norm and there was lots of software for it.  Now though, it is rare to ever need it, and so it is not mentioned in support literature for DVD utilities, and is a "feature" almost no one cares about.  This making it harder and harder to find.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:01 PM
  • tTrucks,

I finally found a program that does what it says, without being spam, virus riddled, or an injection route for a toolbar on my browser.

Try http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/ and select the latest.

The program help file is sort of like a bbs entry.  The entries are laid out the same as the menus.  So, for example to burn a bootable disk, go to

Mode\read\advanced\ Bootabledisk and then you have to tell it where an example of the bootable disk files are.  (apparently MS stops these people from keeping a copy of the boot files handy.) 

I havent tried it yet, but it isnt trynig to install anything else on my computer, isnt trying to get a credit card number, isnt ... so I think it might work.

Well, it looked really promising, but all it did was install another tool bar, change my browser home page, and tried to change my browser search engine default.  IT did copy the disk, but it did not make it bootable.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Mike,

It has been a week since you said you were going to check into this.  I am still waiting.  Should I give up on you or ???

Thanks,

Daniel

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Mike,

If you are not going to help, maybe you wouldnt mind telling me why you are blowing me off? 

Thanks,

Daniel

• Marked as answer by daniel310 Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike KinsmanModerator Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:30 PM
    • Edited by daniel310 Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:25 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Daniel!!

Sorry for the extreme delay here.  Unfortunately, as you may have seen, over the last month we've been a bit busy with some download issues and I've been focused elsewhere.  A few times I've gotten halfway through testing this and then have been pulled away.

So first of all, all Windows images are bootable, and I just tested the file you downloaded, Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 x64, and was able to boot with it as well.  Now, what I'm doing, is I'm installing Virtual PC and attaching the ISO image to VPC, and it boots right into a Windows 7 Installation.  

In our help documentation here, we point at two different tools used for writing ISO images to DVD:

"Writing ISO images to CD-Rs and DVD-Rs"

"The Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit includes the DVDBURN.EXE command line tool.   Though it has not been tested by Microsoft, many customers also report success using ISO Recorder." 

DVDBurn.exe might be the best path for you if you're looking for a lightweight tool, although it is command line only, but this is going to have be something that you investigate here.  I can't troubleshoot your machine for you over the forums, and certainly booting into a Virtual PC environment is different than booting in your PC's environment.  

Good luck with this!

Thanks,
    Mike 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Daniel,

Also, I just ran into this thread over on the Windows Developer Preview forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/661d46c3-f6b9-41a4-a696-9d8c225208b6

It discusses steps for creating a bootable USB stick as a replacement for a bootable DVD.  Might be worth checking out for you.

Cheers,
    Mike 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:00 PM