none
Project Menu Option missing in SSMS 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I was just issued a new laptop at the office.  My previous version of SSMS was 2008; the new laptop has 2008 R2.

The pull down menu option to open a PROJECT is not included in the FILE==>OPEN menus.

Has projects been disabled in R2?  Has the functionality been moved somewhere else?

Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:43 PM

Answers

• OK, it's straightened out but unfortunately I don't have absolute clarity.

This was a corporate install and the original install was via a bat file.

Our in-house installer used the installation disk and chose the standard install (terminology may be off) and it worked like a champ.  Apparently the bat file install did the BASIC installation.

Thanks to all who chipped in!

dave

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:38 PM

All replies

• I have both: First Options says: Project/Solution Ctrl+Shift+O and the second options says File Ctrl+O. Try the shortcuts and if they will not work, I suggest to re-install SSMS.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Perhaps Dave's new laptop has the Basic installation of SSMS (and not Complete)? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Projects were only available in Complete SSMS installation.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Great suggestion.  The CTRL+O opens a new FILE window; CTRL+SHIFT+O does nothing.  Something must be awry with the install. 

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Are you using Express edition of SQL Server? 
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Are you using Express edition of SQL Server? 

My blog

That was my guess as well (see my earlier post). Note that technically this is called a Basic installation of the management tools, since this can be selected from setup of a "real" SQL Server and not only on Express SQL Server.

Here's a tip from Mladen which seems safe to check if it is Express/Basic SSMS: If there a link to "SQL Server Profiler" in the Tools menu? Another way is to run the SQL Server Installation Center from the machine and in Tools, select "Installed SQL Server Features Discovery Report".

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:16 PM
  • No Profiler in the tools menu.  My internal support tech is working on options with the install script to try to determine the root of this issue.  At least I know I'm not totally loosing it (perhaps the project functionality was moved to Visual Studio, or something like that...).

When we get to the bottom of this I'll post our findings. 

Naomi and Tibor... Appreciate your help...

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:04 AM
  • If you don't have Profiler in the Tools menu, it means, that your SSMS version (and probably SQL Server) is Express version.

Try running

SELECT 
    	SERVERPROPERTY('Edition') AS Edition,
    	SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion') AS ProductVersion,
    	SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel') AS ProductLevel

If you're using Express version of SQL Server, some functionality may be missing as you found out.

My blog
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Those queries only tell us the edition of the database engine. It is perfectly possible to install the Basic version of SSMS from a full (non-express) SQL Server CD. It is likely that the reason is that the instance is Express, but not neccesarily so.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Yes, I understand. To see the SSMS version go to Help/About and Copy info here.

My blog
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Unfortunately Help, About doesn't say that you installed SSMS Basic/Express. You can determine it from the fact that Profiler is missing from Tools. Or you can run the SQL Server Installation Center and in Tools, select "Installed SQL Server Features Discovery Report". (I will probably blog this tonight...)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:07 PM
  • OK, it's straightened out but unfortunately I don't have absolute clarity.

This was a corporate install and the original install was via a bat file.

Our in-house installer used the installation disk and chose the standard install (terminology may be off) and it worked like a champ.  Apparently the bat file install did the BASIC installation.

Thanks to all who chipped in!

dave

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:38 PM