none
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add sharepoint server in my existing farm but  stopped with error "Exception  has been thrown by the target of an invocation".

Spent full day in vain, can't think of any resolution.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Ratan,

Seems like there is some kind of mismatch of drives (drives letters) between existing and new SharePoint Server. If this is the case then rename the drive and run configuration wizard again.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    • Edited by Ashraf ul Islam Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ratan Lal Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Ratan,

This is generic error message which does not explain why you are getting this error, for us to better understand your problem we need inner exception / detail messgre. i would recommend you to have a look at event log or ULS log and paste relevant error message here.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Thank you for your response and time.

I look at sharepoint log. This is i found.

Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: The directory name you entered is invalid.  Please enter a new name. 

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Hi Ratan,

Seems like there is some kind of mismatch of drives (drives letters) between existing and new SharePoint Server. If this is the case then rename the drive and run configuration wizard again.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    • Edited by Ashraf ul Islam Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ratan Lal Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:12 PM