none
Web App & Mobile Service Client RRS feed

• Question

• I have an android app that is working great using Azure Mobile Apps/Mobile Service Client + Easy Tables.

I started a new project, a ASP .NET C# website. All I want to do is display the data from one of the tables that the android app is using.

I have been trying for two days now to set it up using the C#verion of WindowsAzure.MobileServiceClient

All the example projects I can find are outdated and I can only find one that uses MobileServiceClient to connect to the tables and it was using the old version of Mobile Services.

I instaniate my mclient and then do mclient get table all that seems to work fine...

then when i do table.getCollectionAysnc() it always throws an exception saying it can't connect to the remote server, it is frustratingly generic.

Is there an easy way to get a C# web app to connect to the android apps tables using mobileServiceClient?

I have wasted two days on this now and am considering just coding in a SQL connection string that connects directly to the SQL database into the web app. My Concern with that is that it could be abused or someone could somehow reverse the web app to gain access to all the tables in the database. Is it safe to code it in so the web app connects directly to the android apps SQL DB?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:22 PM

All replies

• I was imagining it under a different resource. My Android app is an Azure Mobile app X123.azure.com etc.

And the website is a related but different app x123webpanel.azure.com that is it own resource/app but happens to access a table from x123.azure.com and display it.

Or am I understanding you wrong? I don't want a backend I want a front end website that users can go to and browse data they have added to their user on the android app.

Thanks 

Friday, August 26, 2016 3:01 PM
  • I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work. Check your application settings to make sure you have the right URLs configured (that's my guess based on the "can't connect to remote server" error).

As far as having the two apps connect to the same SQL backend, I can't see any reason why this would create a problem as long as the SQL connection string is safely stored and accessed only in the web app's backend code. From a security perspective, I don't see this as any different from someone theoretically reverse engineering your Android backend service. Are there specific concerns you have?

Saturday, August 27, 2016 9:10 PM