Saving Filter selections for a user... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

I have a need to save the filtering criteria that a user selects for their parameters and save that data as a unique "My Reports" item for that user. Is that possible with SSRS?

Also, I have a secondary need to allow the user to select their output columns as well. Is that option only available using Report Builder? If so, is it possible to build the Report Builder functionality into my web app?

I haven't looked at SSRS since 2005, so bear with me!

Thanks, Mike
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:44 PM

Answers

• I've implemented saving criteria by adding code to the sproc that returns the data for the report (and adding the username as a parameter).  The first thing each of my sprocs do is call a generic "Save Defaults" type of sproc that contains only the most common/basic criteria (in my case, it is which office they are in).  You could do it more specifically, of course.

The Save Defaults proc takes the username, office name, etc, and saves it to a table.

Then I have another stored proc that receives the username and returns the office name they selected.  I use that as the parameter default in my report.

I hope this makes sense, I feel I'm not explaining myself very well!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:01 PM

All replies

• I've implemented saving criteria by adding code to the sproc that returns the data for the report (and adding the username as a parameter).  The first thing each of my sprocs do is call a generic "Save Defaults" type of sproc that contains only the most common/basic criteria (in my case, it is which office they are in).  You could do it more specifically, of course.

The Save Defaults proc takes the username, office name, etc, and saves it to a table.

Then I have another stored proc that receives the username and returns the office name they selected.  I use that as the parameter default in my report.

I hope this makes sense, I feel I'm not explaining myself very well!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I think that method is certainly do-able. I do still have my secondary question:

"Also, I have a secondary need to allow the user to select their output columns as well. Is that option only available using Report Builder? If so, is it possible to build the Report Builder functionality into my web app?"

Ideas about that?

Mike
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:55 PM