none
Inspector Window disappears but stays in taskpane after E-Mail was sent (Outlook 2007 SP3, VSTO 4, .Net 3.5) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have an Outlook addin. Sometimes (not reproduceable) when an email is sent the inspector window disappears and the email is sent without problems. The only thing is that the inspector window stays in the taskpane of windows. Also it seems the process is still running in the taskmanager. If you click on the inspector in the taskpane nothing happens. You cannot bring the window to front nor can you do anything with right mouse click. The inspector only disappears if you close outlook.

We are already releasing all outlook objects we are using and also haven't found yet any leaking objects with memory profilers

Anybody had similar phenomenons?

Thanks in advice.

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark

• Edited by Wompi Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:17 AM

Answers

• It's certainly possible there is interaction with some other software, disabling everything else would be the way to test that of course.

Those ghost Inspectors in my experience though are almost all from modal windows or handling Simple MAPI Inspectors. The main exception I've seen in my experience is with some item.Send() handlers. Are you handling Send()?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:d13e1ec8-6916-481d-8fa7-f51dd9a198d7...

Hello Ken,

thank you for your answer.

No, this issue comes with usual emails not with modal inspectors.

Is it possible that programs like Blackberry Enterprise Server or email archiving tools interfere? We use both.

We already had problems with modal inspectors (ghost windows). The problem was solved when we released all COM objects with ReleaseComObject.

Regards Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:41 PM
  • I know of no way to log what is happening or why. Possibly MS has tools for that, but it's not something I've ever seen.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:f202d1ba-7a0f-4e0c-8a29-a47a47cfdbeb...

Hi Ken,

yes, unfortunately we have to handle the MailItem.Send method.

Is there any possibility to log the internals of outlook? e.g. why the inspector doesn't get disposed or similar. The addin itself doesn't throw nor does it receive any exception from outlook when this happens.

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, September 7, 2012 8:54 PM

All replies

• Does this happen when you are handling Simple MAPI Inspectors? Those are opened from Send To. For example Send to Mail Recipient from Word or Excel or Windows Explorer, etc.

Are you opening any Inspector or item modally?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:a640a690-7f61-4c48-97be-03e7e41ed88b...

Hello,

we have an Outlook addin. Sometimes (not reproduceable) when an email is sent the inspector window disappears and the email is sent without problems. The only thing is that the inspector window stays in the taskpane of windows. Also it seems the process is still running in the taskmanager. If you click on the inspector in the taskpane nothing happens. You cannot bring the window to front nor can you do anything with right mouse click. The inspector only disappears if you close outlook.

We are already releasing all outlook objects we are using and also haven't found yet any leaking objects with memory profilers

Anybody had similar phenomenons?

Thanks in advice.

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hello Ken,

Is it possible that programs like Blackberry Enterprise Server or email archiving tools interfere? We use both.

We already had problems with modal inspectors (ghost windows). The problem was solved when we released all COM objects with ReleaseComObject.

Regards Mark

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:14 AM
  • It's certainly possible there is interaction with some other software, disabling everything else would be the way to test that of course.

Those ghost Inspectors in my experience though are almost all from modal windows or handling Simple MAPI Inspectors. The main exception I've seen in my experience is with some item.Send() handlers. Are you handling Send()?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:d13e1ec8-6916-481d-8fa7-f51dd9a198d7...

Hello Ken,

Regards Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Is there any possibility to log the internals of outlook? e.g. why the inspector doesn't get disposed or similar. The addin itself doesn't throw nor does it receive any exception from outlook when this happens.

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:46 AM
  • I know of no way to log what is happening or why. Possibly MS has tools for that, but it's not something I've ever seen.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:f202d1ba-7a0f-4e0c-8a29-a47a47cfdbeb...

Hi Ken,

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, September 7, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will mark Ken's reply as answer. Please feel free to unmark it and let me know why if  you don't think so.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:12 AM