Azure File Share - Mounting share on-premises error - 53 RRS feed

• Question

• From Windows 10 workstation (1709) trying to map Azure File share on-premises. Does not work...error 53 "network path not found". 

-Port 445 is open

-SMB 3.1.1

Ran AzFileDiagnostics PS Script. Reports all is well but at end gets same error. 

Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:55 PM

Answers

• After further debugging it turns out that in fact port 445 is being blocked by my ISP (Spectrum Business AKA Charter). It seems the AzFileDiagnostics script did not detect this (as you can see from my last post above it says that port 445 is open). 

https://www.spectrumbusiness.net/support/article/support/blocked-ports/ 

I was able to successfully connect to Azure from Verizon FiOS and my mobile phone (AT&T).

I've asked Spectrum Business to review their Blocked Ports policy, but I'm not too hopeful they will address this any time soon.

I need to find a workaround. I'll post another question about alternatives (perhaps site-to-site VPN to Azure?).

Although my problem is not solved, I'll mark question as answered since ISP blocking port 445 is root cause. 

• Marked as answer by Bill Galinsky Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:40 PM
    • Edited by Bill Galinsky Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:41 PM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:40 PM

All replies

• Check the documentation for the possible causes/fixes for ‘Error 53’:

"Error 53" or "Error 67" when you try to mount or unmount an Azure File Share

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:17 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Vikranth. I've tried all that. Here's the output from the AzFileDiagnostics script (Azure Storage Account name redacted):

========================================[BEGINNING]============================================
    Starting to validate the client environment at 12-21-2017_10-14-31
    Output messages will be logged into AzFilediag-<Timestamp>.txt under the script folder as well.

[OK]: Current PowerShell version is 5.1.15063.786

======Validate if it is Admin session, some of the validation steps require elevated rights
    [OK]: Script runs with elevated right

======Validate Client OS Version
    [OK]: Running script on host with OS version 10.0.15063

======Validate SMB Version Client supports

[OK]: Client SMB version is 3.1.1

======Validate LmCompatibilityLevel setting on client

[OK]: HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa|LmCompatibilityLevel is set to default value 3

======Validate Azure Storage File Share Path Naming
    [OK]: Azure File Share path is \\xxxxxxxxxx.file.core.windows.net\files

======Validate Storage Account Name resolution

[OK]: Storage Account Name xxxxxxxxxxxx.file.core.windows.net is resolved to 13.68.165.76

======Validate port 445 reachability over Storage Account IP 13.68.165.76

[OK]: Connection attempt succeeds -  Port is open

[OK]: Validation steps do not return any errors

Successfully start netsh packet capture. Capturing all activities to [C:\Users\bgalinsky\Downloads\packet.etl]

====Running command, Net use Z: \\xxxxxxxxxx.file.core.windows.net\files /User:Azure\xxxxxxxxxx ******************* /PERSISTENT:YES

[ERROR]: Map drive failed and Net use returns the error: System error 53 has occurred.  The network path was not found.

[ERROR]: you can send the script output file in the script folder along with the dianose trace (if turned on) to microsoft support for further investigation

Stopping Netsh trace, Please be patient as NetSH retrieves the packet captures...

Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:24 PM
  • After further debugging it turns out that in fact port 445 is being blocked by my ISP (Spectrum Business AKA Charter). It seems the AzFileDiagnostics script did not detect this (as you can see from my last post above it says that port 445 is open). 

https://www.spectrumbusiness.net/support/article/support/blocked-ports/ 

I was able to successfully connect to Azure from Verizon FiOS and my mobile phone (AT&T).

I've asked Spectrum Business to review their Blocked Ports policy, but I'm not too hopeful they will address this any time soon.

I need to find a workaround. I'll post another question about alternatives (perhaps site-to-site VPN to Azure?).

Although my problem is not solved, I'll mark question as answered since ISP blocking port 445 is root cause. 

• Marked as answer by Bill Galinsky Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:40 PM
    • Edited by Bill Galinsky Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:41 PM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:40 PM