Does SQL server require SSL 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• One of our customer had requirement to disable TLS1.0 , TLS1.1 and enable only TLS1.2.

They have now disabled SSL3.0 with TLS1.2 enabled and they are facing issues while connecting to SQL Server. 

On the internet when I searched with " Does SQL server require SSL 3.0" context, I found the following result - SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0 should be enabled to establish connection to SQL server. So can anyone confirm me if the highlighted statement is true? 

Note: No issues reported with SSL3.0 enabled.

Please can anyone share your views or suggest me further on this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:55 AM

All replies

• Depending on the use SQL Server version (which you haven't mentioned) you may have to install a service pack to get TLS1.2 secured communication working, see MS Support: TLS 1.2 support for Microsoft SQL Server

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:48 AM
  • Hi Olaf Helper,

Requirement from our customer - TLS1.0, TLS1.1 and SSL3.0 are obsoleted in their policy, SQL Server should be connected successfully using TLS1.2 only for all the SQL Server versions.

For now our customer is using SQL Server 2012 which locates in Win2012 server by enabling TLS1.2 and disabling SSL3.0 and they are facing issues with the connection.

As you have mentioned, can we ask our customer to install a service pack so that this issue gets resolved.

Can you please suggest me on this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 8:46 AM
  • What else should I suggest then installing the latest service pack + CU for SQL Server?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 9:10 AM